Forum Thread: In XP Home SP3 - Must use "Run As" to start PSI 2.0

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
GraeagleBill In XP Home SP3 - Must use "Run As" to start PSI 2.0
Member 17th Jan, 2011 21:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 17th Jan, 2011
System Score: N/A
I think there's actually two problems here:

1) - Even though currently the only user, and with administrator authority, I have to use the "Run As" option in order to start PSI 2.0.

2) - Using the "Run As" option, PSI starts, runs a scan, and displays the Dashboard. As soon as I click on "Scan Results", Microsoft Security Essentials terminates PSI as a security risk.

I put c:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\PSI.exe in the MSE scan exclusion list, but that didn't make any difference.

(Side note: I have two computers. When I initiated the download on the 1st of the two, I was prompted to specify whether Win 7, Vista or XP. However, on the second of the two machines where I'm having the problem, I was not prompted. Yet, the properties of PSIsetup.exe on each of the two computers appear to be identical. [PSI on the 1st of the two machines installed and executed perfectly, also under MSE security.])

I'm new to both PSI and MSE, so perhaps I've missed something?

GraeagleBill RE: In XP Home SP3 - Must use "Run As" to start PSI 2.0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 07:42
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jan 2011
I found the problem: DEB required that PSI be in its exception list. So, what's with that requirement? Why isn't PSI certified??

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: In XP Home SP3 - Must use "Run As" to start PSI 2.0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 09:43
Hi,

The PSI in any versions needs to be run with administrative priviliges, either by logging in as a privilged user, or using the "Runas" feature.
This is because the PSI uses several priviliged functions, and by definition needs access to your entire filesystem to adequate do it's job.

If run as an Administrator, is the PSI causing you any problems?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GraeagleBill RE: In XP Home SP3 - Must use "Run As" to start PSI 2.0
Member 18th Jan, 2011 13:11
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jan 2011
Hi Emil,

As soon as I put PSI in the DEP Exception list, I no longer had to start PSI using the RunAs method, nor is PSI terminated by DEP when I click on "Scan Results".

Again, referring to my 1st and 2nd machines, I'm puzzled as to why I had to put PSI in in the Exception List on the 2nd machine whereas I did not have to do that on the 1st of the two machines. They are both running essentially the same platforms, both with regard to hardware and software. I.e., Windows XP Home SP3 with Microsoft Security Essentials. Any thoughts on this?

On neither of the two installs was I prompted to approve installation for absence of a certified signature from Secunia.

Regards,
Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.