Forum Thread: Have the hibernating issues been solved with PSI 2.0 build 3001?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Spiff Have the hibernating issues been solved with PSI 2.0 build 3001?
Member 19th Jan, 2011 14:03
Ranking: 22
User Since: 22nd Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2011 14:04

Hi everyone,

With Secunia PSI 2.0 builds 1001+ and 2001 some users experienced problems with hibernation.
In my case Secunia PSI 2.0 build 1002 kept my computer from going into sleep mode.
Other users had similar problems, with build 2001 also.
See this thread:
"Hibernate doesn't work with 2.0"
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/683...

That thread has been locked, I notice.
But it's unclear if the PSI and hibernation issue has been solved with build 3001.
As I mentioned before, the changelog offers no information about which bugs have been fixed:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

So now I wonder, about those hibernation issues,
should those have been solved with build 3001, or is that still uncertain?

Are there any users that had hibernation issues with builds 1001+ and 2001 and who have tried build 3001?
Has the problem been solved with build 3001, to your experience?

Best regards,
Spiff

adrianmarsh RE: Have the hibernating issues been solved with PSI 2.0 build 3001?
Member 23rd Jan, 2011 13:35
Score: 1
User Since: 23rd Jan 2011
I have almost the same issue. I noticed that my PC had stopped successfully going into sleep or hibernation. The screen darkens but the CPU and Hard Disk stay running.

After about a month of checking other s/w on the PC, posting in other forums, I went through each system service stopping them, sleeping, powercycling, stopping the next, sleeping, powercycing... until eventually I got to Secunia PSI Agent and the Update service. If I stop these then the PC sleeps/resumes as expected.

Now I see on the forum it may be a known issue - so i would ask the same question - when will this be looked at ?

And do I actually need to run the services? What do they do ?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Have the hibernating issues been solved with PSI 2.0 build 3001?
Member 24th Jan, 2011 12:15
Hi,

We are still investigating this issue and will deploy a solution as soon as possible.

The Secuia Update Agent is responsible for running scheduled updates. Disabling this agent will prevent automatic updates from successfully being applied.

The PSI Agent is responsible for scanning and scheduling updates, and so should not be disabled.

Hope this helps.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Spiff RE: Have the hibernating issues been solved with PSI 2.0 build 3001?
Member 24th Jan, 2011 13:15
Score: 22
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2011 13:17

Hi everyone,

Last Wednesday, 19th January, I wrote, "It's unclear if the PSI and hibernation issue has been solved with build 3001."

Today, 24th January, Emil R. Petersen, Secunia PSI Support, replied, "We are still investigating this issue and will deploy a solution as soon as possible."
Thank you very much.

I have now tested PSI 2.0 build 3001 in one specific configuration, and in that configuration it works fine for me.
In that specific configuration my computer is not being kept from going into sleep mode.
I can't say anything about any other configuration.

The configuration that I use, the configuration that meets what I want from the Secunia PSI, that's like this:

Settings:

Start the Secunia PSI on boot - Disabled
Enable program monitoring - Disabled
Enable automatic program updates - Disabled
Prompt before running automatic program updates - Enabled
Enable "Secure Browsing" Page - Enabled
Show detailed program changes - Enabled
Create log files - Disabled

See:
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/7067/psisetting...

Services:

Secunia PSI Agent service:
the default setting with the PSI settings as mentioned above is:
set to Manual and Stopped.

Secunia Update Agent service:
the default setting with the PSI settings as mentioned above is:
set to Automatic and Stopped.
But as I don't need this service to be set on Automatic, as I don't use any of the automated options of the Secunia PSI program, I changed the Secunia Update Agent service settings to Manual and Stopped.

As I said above -
In that specific configuration my computer is not being kept from going into sleep mode.
But I can't say anything about any other configuration.

Best regards,
Spiff

System: Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32 bit

Was this reply relevant?
+2
adrianmarsh RE: Have the hibernating issues been solved with PSI 2.0 build 3001?
Member 24th Jan, 2011 22:05
Hi,

Well I've confirmed its the Agent on my system, not the updater.

I'll try Spiffs app settings shortly.

I have noticed that if I set the Agent Service to Manual, then the next time I start the GUI, it gets set back to Automatic again.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2011 22:15
Ok... changing to those settings changes the Agent Service settings to Manual...

I can see that the "Enable program monitoring" box controls the Agent service state, and when the GUI is running the Service is started (and stopped when I quit the gui).

This seems to be the only option that affects my laptop sleeping, which matches up to what I'd seen previously manually stopping and starting the service.

But at least I now have a way to stop the service automatically changing Startup state.

I look forward to seeing a fix soon, but for now I can't use the automated features.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2011 22:17
Oh btw..

My systems running Windows 7 64bit on an Intel Macbook Pro.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.