Forum Thread: Patched and unpatched versions of same software

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
casy Patched and unpatched versions of same software
Member 24th Jan, 2011 22:09
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Sep, 2010
System Score: N/A
Sorry for my English, I am not English (translation by google)

I use PSI v2.0, and I just noticed that when software is installed in 2 versions, a patched, the other not patched (VLC v1.1.5 & v1.0.5 in different directories), the scan result indicates the 2 versions under the same input but does not indicate that one of the 2 versions is not patched, thus distorting the overall result.

PSI v1.x indicated although a version was not patched and reflected in the overall result

gjjean RE: Patched and unpatched versions of same software
Contributor 24th Jan, 2011 23:01
Score: 192
User Since: 9th Apr 2010

--
HP pavilion DV6
Win 7 64bit - SP1
IE10 + MSSE4.3.215
Was this reply relevant?
+1
casy RE: Patched and unpatched versions of same software
Member 25th Jan, 2011 09:04
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Sep 2010
No.
The patched version is the normal version of VLC that I use as such.

The unpatched version is a component of another software that is incompatible with recent versions of VLC (initially it is installed with version 0.8.6).
In my case it is necessary to keep the unpatched version. I should therefore have a score of 99% instead of 100%

I just wanted that reported in other similar cases, obtaining a score of 100%, it might not be aware of the existence of an unpatched version, so we have no reason to keep it.
For me, it's a bug in PSI
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Patched and unpatched versions of same software
Member 25th Jan, 2011 09:26
Hi,

If you want to exclude the program from the scan results, please try the method described here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Can you post the troubleshoot report for the Insecure VLC installation? Then possibly we can solve the problem very quickly. :)
Please see this item of our FAQ for how to get the report:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.