Forum Thread: How to install without service?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Pressfred How to install without service?
Member 3rd Feb, 2011 23:48
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Jun, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hello!

I just noticed that PSI installs itself unasked(!) with two services. As I don't like software which installs unnecessary services or autostart items without asking the user during the installation process, I'd like to know if there is a way to install PSI without that.

If not, then I suggest that you include the question, if the user wants to have anything started automatically or not, in the installer. And, instead of one more service cluttering the system and wasting ressources, the update process would be much better realized as a scheduled task.

Regards,

Fred

Post "RE: How to install without service?" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: How to install without service?
Member 4th Feb, 2011 09:28
Hi,

The services are not wasting resources.
If you want to disable them, disable the "Start on boot", "Program Monitoring" and "Auto-updates" features on the settings tab.
That way, only the "PSIA" will run, and only when you have the PSI User Interface open.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pressfred RE: How to install without service?
Member 4th Feb, 2011 10:18
Score: 0
User Since: 28th Jun 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi Emil,

thanks, I already had set the services to "Manual" by hand.

And yes, they do waste resources. I don't see any service that can exist in 0 bytes of memory while never consuming even one CPU cycle. :) Even when one has more than enough RAM and CPU power, it will make the system start a little slower.

Please don't get me wrong here, I don't mean that these functionalities should not exist. And I'm aware that the program monitoring can only be done well through a service. But such things should be selectable options during the setup, not something that is installed without any mention.

Too many programs clutter up the system with - often not really needed, and sometimes even useless - services or autostart items nowadays. Just run Sysinternals' autoruns on an average Windows 7 machine. Therefore, IMO, a program should only install the most vital stuff unasked to get started automatically with the system, and leave it for everything else to the user if he wants to activate it.

And automated updates should be done with a scheduled task.

Thank you for offering such a in general fine program for free, btw.

Regards,

Fred
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.