Forum Thread: Unable to scan

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Alan62 Unable to scan
Member 2nd Mar, 2011 18:03
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
I am using Windows XP. Everything OK until I tried to scan today. Program worked as normal until I hit scan button. Nothing happened. I have removed Secunia PSI from my computer, restarted the computer and downloaded Secunia PSI again. Scan button still not operative. Any ideas, please?

bhenshaw RE: Unable to scan
Member 4th Mar, 2011 03:44
Score: 40
User Since: 29th Apr 2009
I'm having the same problem on Vista SP1. I uninstalled and re-installed PSI and still doesn't work.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
besafe RE: Unable to scan
Member 4th Mar, 2011 06:11
Score: 2
User Since: 27th May 2010
In Secunia 2.0.0.3001 they`ve added some kind of buggy service : psia.exe , that will keep my CPU in 100 % ( after I close SecuniaPSI ) about some 20 seconds , before it will close himself X(

If this service is not opened , secunia will not start scanning .

Just verify in task manager if it`s opened .

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Mar, 2011 06:26
No, I don't see psia.exe. I see psi.exe and psi_tray.exe. The program exists in C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI, but it is not running.

If I did a re-install, shouldn't that be running automatically if it is needed?

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Unable to scan
Member 4th Mar, 2011 10:23
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 4th Mar, 2011 10:31
Yes,it is needed check this thread: In this thread , the psia.exe file went missing and gave the same symptoms :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/772...

"As it turns out, it was nothing to do with IE9. Somehow (and darned if I can figure out how) the psia.exe file was removed! Only figured it out when I noticed the Secunia PSI Agent service was stopped and then couldn't get it started.

I've reinstalled Secunia and all is running fine again. Not sure why the psia.exe file was removed though, and I certainly don't go through the program files directory randomly hacking things out!"

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+1
mirheke RE: Unable to scan
Member 4th Mar, 2011 15:20
Score: 11
User Since: 4th Mar 2011
Last edited on 4th Mar, 2011 15:21
Good afternoon,
below the current configuration of my system:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP 3)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer v8.0.6001.1872
- Mozilla Firefox v3.6.14
- Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3001

I'm having the same problem already reported by Alan62:
clicking on Scan your PC -> Start scan within the "Scan Status" box I see "Scan has been running for" without any additional information and nothing is done.

I have already tried:
- to restart the workstation
- to reinstall Secunia PSI

I have already verified that, when I press the "Start scan" button the following processes were running:
- psi.exe
- psi_tray.exe
- psia.exe

Because I was not able to solve the problem I hope someone can help.

Thanks for your attention.
Mirheke
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Mar, 2011 18:06
I did reinstall and I see psia.exe in the program files folder for Secunia, but it still doesn't start when I start up the program and initiate a scan. How do I get it to start up?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
flyfinn RE: Unable to scan
Member 4th Mar, 2011 18:53
Score: 0
User Since: 30th Jan 2009
i have the same problem the secunia connection screen opens and then doesbt connect to the server any help appreciated

--
Fred W Finn MBA. F.Inst.T.T.
World's Most Travelled Person
Guinness World Records
15 Million Miles
718 Flights in "Concorde"

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Mar, 2011 18:53
Score:
Last edited on 4th Mar, 2011 19:15
Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials? What anti-virus? PSI no-longer uses the Lanman workstation. There have been server problem as of late at Secunia. You did download directly from PsI correct?
If using Microsoft Security Essentials check this thread: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/729...

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Mar, 2011 19:19
No... I don't use MS Security Essentials. I use Norton Antivirus. I did download the program directly from the Secunia website.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Mar, 2011 20:33
Score:
@all except

Confirm that you all have PSI2.0.0.3001 by going to your icon and right clcking on "About"

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Mar, 2011 20:41
Yes... I do have 2.0.0.3001.

Based on an idea in another thread I reset IE 8 to all of its default settings, but that didn't help either.

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Mar, 2011 22:47
Score:
Last edited on 4th Mar, 2011 22:55
@bhenshaw

1) Ensure that the workstation service is running in auto.
This service is enabled by default, so unless you disabled it, it should be activated.

2.)Make sure that all scripting is enabled IE or Internet options

3) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI), right-click PSI.exe, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for this program'

4) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services'
(Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 3).

If this fails,I would uninstall,clean out registry restart p.c. and attempt a clean reinstall from Secunia download.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Mar, 2011 23:40
I guess I'm confused. I've been running PSI for over a year and never had any problems. PSI 2.0.0.1003 broke a couple days ago... it would start up and hang while trying to establish an internet connection. It had worked fine before that day and I hadn't changed anything on my computer.

I uninstalled it and installed PSI 2.0.0.3001. It now has the problem where it will not scan. Other people are having the same problem as well which makes me think it isn't something on my computer that is the problem. Are you sure it isn't something wrong in PSI itself?

As for what you wanted me to look at...

1) I verified that the workstation service is started and automatic.
2) I only allow scripting on sites in my trusted zone. Does PSI use the trusted zone settings? I've not changed anything here and it worked fine until 2.0.0.3001.
3) I went to the compatability tab as you suggested but there is no option to 'Turn off advanced text services for this program'. I am running Vista SP1.
4) I went to the Regional and Language Options, but there is no language tab. I could not find anything about 'Turn off advanced text services' on any of the tabs that are there (Formats, Location, Keyboards and Languages, Administrative). I am running Visa SP1.

Thanks,

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Mar, 2011 23:46
I checked and actually, I do allow scripting of ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting, active scripting, and scripting of Java applets in the Internet zone as well.

Is there some other type of scripting that needs to be allowed?

I don't ever actually use IE, I use Firefox as my browser.

Thanks,

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 01:23
Score:
If you are using the "No Scripts" add-on,make sure that it is allowed in the white zone.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Mar, 2011 01:30
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 01:32
I use NoScript in Firefox. Secunia.com is in the whitelist.

I tried disabling NoScript in Firefox and doing a scan in PSI and it still doesn't work.

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 01:37
Score:
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 01:43
I know that SP2 came out a long time ago ,as you can see I am running it . I am confused in that are we talking about Vista , Xp or multi p.c.'s?

*** there have been some reports of anti-virus and firewall permissions being changed. Verify those permissions.

** Please confirm that you are not using ""IE( BETA""

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 01:44
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 01:47
I have one PC running Vista Home Premium SP1. It is using PSI 2.0.0.3001. It is the one having the problem.

I have another PC running Windows 7 Home Premium. It is using PSI 2.0.0.2001. It is not having any problems.

I am not using IE9 on either machine.

I am using Norton Antivirus. I turned it off and still have the same problem.

Which I guess brings up a question. Is there somewhere that I can get my hands on an older release of PSI, say 2.0.0.2001, so I can install it on my PC running Vista SP1 to see if it works? That would tell us if it is PSI or my computer that is the problem.

Thanks,

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 01:47
Score:
You can down load from here:http://secunia.com/PSI1Setup.exe For older version

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 01:54
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 01:54
Boy... that is a really old one. In any case, I uninstalled 2.0.0.3001 and installed 1.5.0.2 and it works fine.

Any chance I can get a copy of 2.0.0.2001 which works on my Windows 7 machine to see if it would work on my Vista SP1 machine?

Thanks,

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0

puget1

RE: Unable to scan
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 5th Mar, 2011 02:11
I'm a little confused. So... I think what you are saying is that I should leave 1.5.0.2 on and go to the Secunia site and re-download the latest version and install it over 1.5.0.2. Is that correct?

I will disable all addons in Firefox before I download the new version to install.

I am not sure what you mean about "temporarily allow all this page" in customizations. What program are you referring to here?

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 03:45
OK... I disabled all add-ons in Firefix and downloaded and installed PSI 2.0.0.3001. It uninstalled 1.5.0.2 as part of the install.

"Start Scan" still doesn't work. Says Step 0 of 8 and never goes anywhere.

Let me know about the "temporarily allow all this page" in customizations that you referred to and I can try that out once I understand what you mean.

Also... anywhere I can get 2.0.0.2001? I'd like to give that a try.

I'm going to go back to 1.5.0.2 for now since it works.
Thanks,

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 04:39
Score:
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 04:42
@

""I'm a little confused. So... I think what you are saying is that I should leave 1.5.0.2 on and go to the Secunia site and re-download the latest version and install it over 1.5.0.2. Is that correct?"" That is correct.

2.0.0.3001 is the remedy for all known problems to date. Stay with it.

In Firefox you have the ability to, disable them on a one-on-one bases. If you go to the Menu bar and right click on any "blank" place you will get a dialogue box with "customizations" at the bottom of it . Open it and read through you may find "temporarily allow this page" right click on it and drag it up to your menu bar. It is handy for all problematic downloads

Confirm that you are NOT running IE9 Beta and that when you set up your IE settings it was NOT under IE9 beta This is and always has been the main stumbling block

Just out of curiosity go to your Programs & Features and see if SP2 has been installed?

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Mar, 2011 05:23
Thanks for continuing to help out on this. I don't plan on giving up!

Now I see what you mean. I did say allow all on this page when I did the download. It still didn't scan once installed.

I am not and have never installed IE9 or any other IE beta.

I double checked and I am running Vista SP1. I have not installed SP2 due to warnings from the vendor of my computer (HP) about problems. All previous releases of PSI have run fine on IE9 till a couple days ago.

Thanks,

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 06:06
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 06:11
Last post for the night. :-)

I found copies of 1.9.0.4001 and 2.0.0.2001 on my other computer.

First I installed 2.0.0.2001 on top of 1.5.0.2 and it wouldn't scan.

Then I uninstalled 2.0.0.2001, installed 1.5.0.2, did a scan to verify it still worked, then installled 1.9.0.4001 on top of 1.5.0.2. 1.9.0.4001 works fine. It scans without any problems. I then let PSI update itself to version 2. It downloaded and installed 2.0.0.3001. This version would not scan.

So... the problem seems to be with PSI not my computer. The problem was introduced somewhere between 1.9.0.4001 and 2.0.0.2001.

Thanks,

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 11:13
Score:
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 11:26
*** I don't know where you are getting these copies but please per Secunia personnel only down load from Secunia site.,

I am also beginning to believe that also. Here is what is needed for Secunia support along with event logs and poss. problems and solution reports: You may want to have a read through and see if anything fits
:
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#q15

They can be contacted at :support@secunia.com

You may want to keep going through threads something is bound to fit. Sorry.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
AMDk7 RE: Unable to scan
Member 5th Mar, 2011 12:47
Score: 13
User Since: 5th Mar 2011
My solution: restart Secunia PSI Agent service.

Win+R
type: net stop "Secunia PSI Agent" [enter]
Win+R
type: net start "Secunia PSI Agent" [enter]

This help me to fix "Unable to scan" bug.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Mar, 2011 13:27
Score:
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 14:32
@ AMDk7

You may want to inform all how to access this win+R. Is it with in PSI,what folder. i.e. there are all skill levels represented by PSI and your input is appropriate but you need to write for the lowest level. Is this a zip file ,rar program accessible to all? +1

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 5th Mar, 2011 18:30
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 18:35
puget1,

All of the old versions I had were downloaded install files from the Secunia site. Firefox downloads them to the Downloads folder and I just hadn't ever deleted them.

I'll look at the link you gave me and try to open an issue with Secunia. I already sent an email to support@secunia.com and haven't received a reply. That was a couple days ago.

Thanks for trying to help me get this sorted out.

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 18:57
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2011 19:06
AMDk7,

It doesn't appear that this worked for me as I still can not scan. Is there any way to get any response from the command to come back to the screen so I can see if the net stop and net start commands are actually doing anything?

One thing i notice is that even though there is a psia.exe file in the PSI folder in Program Files, it never starts up. Not when I start PSI or when I initiate a scan. Not sure if this is the problem. Not sure why it doesn't start up.

I just went into Services and noticed that Secunia PSI Agent is disabled. When I go into the properties for Secunia PSI Agent, "Startup type" is set to disabled. When I try to change this to "Automatic", I get a popup that says "the specified service has been marked for deletion". Is this the problem? How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2011 19:07
on 5th Mar, 2011 13:27, puget1 wrote:
@ AMDk7

You may want to inform all how to access this win+R. Is it with in PSI,what folder. i.e. there are all skill levels represented by PSI and your input is appropriate but you need to write for the lowest level. Is this a zip file ,rar program accessible to all? +1

AMDk7 meant:

Holding down the "Windows" key, press the "R" key on your keyboard.
This is one of "Windows Key Shortcuts" and this is to display the "Run" command.

Paste the string net stop "Secunia PSI Agent" in the window that is now open.

If you look at Windows Task Manager the process psia.exe should be gone from the list of processes.

Once more holding down the "Windows" key, press the "R" key on your keyboard.

Paste the string net start "Secunia PSI Agent" in the window that is now open.

The process psia.exe should be now re-appeared in the list of processes visible through the "Windows Task Manager".

Was this reply relevant?
+11
Member 5th Mar, 2011 19:29
OK... I thought I'd try one last thing.

1. I uninstalled version 2.0.0.3001 using Control Panel.

2. I re-booted my computer.

3. I installed version 1.5.0.2 from the Secunia web site.

4. I re-booted my computer.

5. I installed version 2.0.0.3001 from the Secunia web site over the top of version 1.5.0.2 and this time it started a scan on its own. This had not happened on any of my previous attempts. The scan ran to completion and seems to have worked just fine.

6. I closed out of PSI and started it back up again. I initiated a manual scan by using the "Start Scan" button. It worked fine.

So... everything is working again now. Not sure what was different this time around, but all seems to be well. PSIA.EXE is running as it should be. All is well with the world!!

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AMDk7 RE: Unable to scan
Member 5th Mar, 2011 19:45
Score: 13
User Since: 5th Mar 2011
@puget1

There is a lot of long and short ways to restart service, here is long one:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.
2. In the details panel find "Secunia PSI Agent" service.
3. Right-click the service, and then click Restart.

Win+R is a hot-key combination = Click Start, click Run = short way to run command prompt.

Full info about services: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc73656...

@all

Restart of "Secunia PSI Agent" service help me to fix "Unable to scan" bug. Secunia PSI version: 2.0.0.3001.

Inspired by @besafe: In Secunia 2.0.0.3001 they've added some kind of buggy service : psia.exe.
Was this reply relevant?
+12
flyfinn RE: Unable to scan
Member 5th Mar, 2011 21:20
Score: 0
User Since: 30th Jan 2009
i found that by using the alternative download site that when i first uninstalled and then did the reinstall all works again just fine hope this helps
Fred

--
Fred W Finn MBA. F.Inst.T.T.
World's Most Travelled Person
Guinness World Records
15 Million Miles
718 Flights in "Concorde"

Was this reply relevant?
+0

puget1

RE: Unable to scan
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 7th Mar, 2011 09:10
on 5th Mar, 2011 21:20, flyfinn wrote:
i found that by using the alternative download site that when i first uninstalled and then did the reinstall all works again just fine hope this helps
Fred

Good morning,
I tried to uninstall "Secunia PSI" and then to re-install using the setup file available through the alternate download link.

Unfortunately these actions have not resolved the problem (at least for me).

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Mar, 2011 09:33
@ all

Who still has troubles with Secunia PSI, are you using a proxy server or is your internet connection a direct connection?

I ask this because, from home, with a direct connection, I have no longer experienced the problem.
Instead, from office, using a HTTP proxy server, the problem is still present.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Unable to scan
Handling Contributor 7th Mar, 2011 09:41
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 7th Mar, 2011 09:45
PSI does not support proxy.

Edit: More reading on the subject here:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/773...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Mar, 2011 10:14
Last edited on 7th Mar, 2011 10:15
on 7th Mar, 2011 09:41, Maurice Joyce wrote:
PSI does not support proxy.

Thanks for the information but this is very strange because, at least in my configuration, it has always worked fine (until the last program update).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Unable to scan
Handling Contributor 7th Mar, 2011 10:22
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I am not saying it will not work - some might get it to work. The key is that it is not currently supported & in these very busy times the Secunia Staff are unlikely to offer any help or advice hence I have given contact details (on the other thread) so they can update U as & when time allows.

The same principle applies to any programme in ALPHA,BETA or RC.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
pratnala2010 RE: Unable to scan
Member 9th Mar, 2011 05:42
Score: 1
User Since: 13th Nov 2009