Forum Thread: Removing Old Java Versions

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Sun Microsystems
And, this specific program:
Java Web Start 5.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Ellis Removing Old Java Versions
Member 4th Dec, 2008 21:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
I've read most of the other Java install/un-install problems but am still not sure what to do for these programs: Java Web Start 5.x (2 versions) and Sun Java JRE 1.x (3 versions). All are shown as insecure but none appear in the Add/Remove Programs List. I've looked at the JavaRA site but it isn't easy to know what to download. Is it safe to delete these files through Explorer or is that too risky? What other options are there to get them out of the system? And just as a matter of interest, what is Java Web Start and Java JRE?
Thanks

BigDave_39 RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 4th Dec, 2008 21:56
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
on 4th Dec, 2008 21:47, Ellis wrote:
I've read most of the other Java install/un-install problems but am still not sure what to do for these programs: Java Web Start 5.x (2 versions) and Sun Java JRE 1.x (3 versions). All are shown as insecure but none appear in the Add/Remove Programs List. I've looked at the JavaRA site but it isn't easy to know what to download. Is it safe to delete these files through Explorer or is that too risky? What other options are there to get them out of the system?

I wouldn't recommend just deleting files without properly understanding why they are there.

You are welcome to post the exact paths to where the psi found your Java installations, then we might be able to give you some advise on how to proceed?

And just as a matter of interest, what is Java Web Start and Java JRE?Thanks

Not sure about web start, but Java JRE is a plugin for your browsers/operating system that provides some enhanced features (Java). A lot of websites use java to add features, gimmicks and other interactive content. One such example is actually Secunia's online software inspector (osi).

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ellis RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 4th Dec, 2008 22:30
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
Thanks for that, BD.
Okay, I won't delete the directories! Bad idea. All the paths relate to Program Files/Java/[JavaUpdateDirectory]/bin then javaws.exe or eula.dll or java.exe. I wonder that SUN don't have a Remove Old Versions facility - seems strange to leave it to third parties like JavaRA (who have packed up for Christmas, by the way).
E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BigDave_39 RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 4th Dec, 2008 22:38
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
on 4th Dec, 2008 22:30, Ellis wrote:
All the paths relate to Program Files/Java/[JavaUpdateDirectory]/bin then javaws.exe or eula.dll or java.exe. I wonder that SUN don't have a Remove Old Versions facility - seems strange to leave it to third parties like JavaRA (who have packed up for Christmas, by the way).

If all the java installations are in the folders you describe above, then I wouldn't worry too much about deleting them (since it is the default installation path). But since they are in that path, it sure seem odd that there aren't any entries in the add/remove programs feature...

--
Big Dave
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lowridercraz RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 5th Dec, 2008 16:50
I strongly agree with Dave. Dont delete any programs until you have understood what they are & where they came from. If their not causing you no issues with your operating system, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

--
M.S.JR.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
diamondix14 RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 9th Dec, 2008 02:07
User Since: 9th Dec 2008
Hi, I am having the same problem. It does appear that those java versions have or are reaching end of life. Secunia's advanced view takes you right to the folder it's in but very confusing which one it is. The original question still remains, how do you delete or uninstall them from your files since they are posing a potential security risk? Does anyone have complete instructions on getting rid of these old versions? diamondix
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 9th Dec, 2008 08:31
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2008 08:32
on 9th Dec, 2008 02:07, diamondix14 wrote:
Hi, I am having the same problem. It does appear that those java versions have or are reaching end of life. Secunia's advanced view takes you right to the folder it's in but very confusing which one it is. The original question still remains, how do you delete or uninstall them from your files since they are posing a potential security risk? Does anyone have complete instructions on getting rid of these old versions? diamondix

Go to Add/Remove Programs and un-install all versions of Sun Java then reboot.

Download JavaRa:
http://raproducts.org

Run it to remove Sun Java remnants and download the latest V6 R11 release of the application.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Dec, 2008 10:00
on 9th Dec, 2008 08:31, wrote:

Download JavaRa:

Run it to remove Sun Java remnants and download the latest V6 R11 release of the application.

I wish it was that easy, but the Java versions in question (see my opening thread) don't appear in the list. This is the problem. I read in another similar thread (sorry, not sure where) that this happens with some programs and the suggestion was to use JavaRA, which I may do, although it looks highly complicated - and the developers are already on holiday. The only Java entry I can see at present is 6.11, the latest update, yet Secunia finds the other versions and calls them a security risk. For the time being I'm leaving the folders and files in place until someone can suggest a simple, surefire way of deleting them. I can't believe Sun don't have a Delete or Tidy facility, but then I also can't believe in Father Christmas.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Florence Gaskill RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 10th Dec, 2008 11:20
Hello all.

Secunia PSI found Java Webstart5.x version 5.060.5, located in C:\i386java aws. exe and Java JRE1.5x/5.x insecure. Clicking Download Solution brings up the Sun Developer Network website.Clicked Downloads and learned that the latest version is JRE6Update11.Add/Remove Programs shows Java(TM)6 update 11. I have it already installed.

The website also says that Java Webstart5.x has reached the end of its life, and has been replaced by JRE6. Surprised that this did not come up on PSI as an End of Life Program. Closed the website without downloading or installing anything.

It gets weirder. Click the file folder icon, and it opens C:\i386. I click Program Files, and right under that it says Java. So I click that. From there the clicks are jre6, bin, client, new plug in, and lib, applet, audio, cmm. Everything was installed 12/9/2008 and everything that comes up pertains to jre.6u11, the current program.

I remember removing the old version.

So where is PSI finding this program? And how do you remove a program you can't find.

Java JRE1.5x\5.x show up as patched. The files are C:\WINDOWS\System32\java. exe and C\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\|jre6\bin|java.exe. Consistent with what I found on Windows explorer and right where you would expect to find them. Clicking Download Solution brings up a program for insalling Java6update 11. So I didn't run it,because I have it.

So now I'm left with this insecure program. And again, where is PSI finding it?

There's another reason to remove these old programs. They take up memory.The new version,jre.6.u11 is 90.49MB. Pile new programs on top of old at that rate and it adds up fast.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gzeilstra RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 10th Dec, 2008 12:21
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
Last edited on 10th Dec, 2008 12:59
I am a bit concerned about the advises given by some forum users in general because they are incorrect and uninstalling all older versions could harm your system.

I highly recommend not removing all the older Java versions. It would be ignorant to think that it will have no effect what so ever. Removing them could break other software to function properly. Some software need the JDK edition and so on. Don't remove them unless you know for a fact it has no harm. Sometimes other software could fail because it may use a distribution that it is linked to or even has it installed in a specific folder where it will look. What I do recommend and which is saver to do is to install the fully patched version of each distribution that you need or already found installed on your system. PSI gives you the links where to get them. It is simple and fast to apply the patches.

Some distributions are called end-of-live but there is still a patch available to update it. Very often software that need that version don't pose a threath to your system. In my case it was an old bookkeeping software program that is not using the Internet at all. But it was required to use this distribution to work properly.

If you want to clean up your system after it is fully patched you run system restore and create a restore point before removing the older versions of each distribution. The can be easily found because in Software they are grouped. If something really breaks you can restore the system. Or run install for that software program, but that may also add the unpatched version back on your PC so you have to run PSI again to double check. At least with System Restore you have a chance of stepping back.

When your only dependence is with IE7 or another Internet browser then it is save to remove the old version and then install the latest version. With IE7 just go to www . java . com and install it again. I believe this also work with Mozilla Firefox that I am using. But with Firefox you can also load it as a Adds-on (under Plug-ins) where it will be kept up to date automatically. When online you can also immediately check if it is installed properly.

In your configuration screen you could click on Java and turn on the automatic updates or run it manually from there. This also keeps your system better up to date.

Java is complexer then is good for us when you have to patch it. I too wish they would allow only one version of each mayor distribution to reside on your system but that is not the case. Also the existence of more flavors of each distribution makes it harder to understand for the normal PC user. Each version has a JRE and several JDK versions. The JRE are ofthen thought to be used only for Internet browser experience. This is not always 100% the case and you have to be careful with removing it if it used for a local service. The others versions like the JDK flavors cannot be removed without impacting your system. That is why I recommend to patch it rather then to remove it.

The comment from BigDave was the best made that I found in this forom Topic.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Dec, 2008 13:58
I can see opinions differ greatly on this thread. Thanks to all those contributing.

First, is it necessary to remove old Java installations in the first place? Gzeilistra and some other members say no. However, there doesn't seem to be much point in using Secunia if we ignore the danger points it raises. If any programs use these older Java versions then perhaps they should be updated or replaced rather than be allowed to keep running, bringing with them the threats Secunia finds.

Second, assuming you still want to try and rid your computer of old Java, then JavaRA has now done this for me. It isn't a particularly user-friendly installation, but once installed, it works. There is a simple 4-option box menu which includes "Remove Old Versions" and it does exactly what it says on the tin. I haven't (yet) had any programs failing because of this, but like I say, if they do fail then they probably need updating or replacing themselves. Florence Gaskill lists all the problems, which are pretty much the same as mine, but JavaRa solved them in one click.

JavaRA seems to be developed by Sun people, so hopefully it's safe and not a dubious third party package. You can find it here http://raproducts.org/ Choose the Windows Binary File download and read all instructions.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Dec, 2008 15:40
Firstly you have to realize that JRE and JDK are two entirely different programs.

I have no experience with JDK as I am not a developer but just a user of JRE offering my my experience.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
diamondix14 RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 11th Dec, 2008 03:32
well after reading the latest posts I believe I will just leave Java alone. I am not experienced enough to get into complicated installations. The java folks need to provide a simple uninstall tool for any version of Java and then a new version we can download and install for the average user. Would anyone like to hold my hand and walk me through this? LOL!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Dec, 2008 10:53
I do not wish to start a long discussion here but let me give one response because I feel it may be appropriate to do so. Please take no offense to this. I have 10 years of experience with Java and have seen that you cannot simply remove the older software versions.

on 10th Dec, 2008 13:58, Ellis wrote:
First, is it necessary to remove old Java installations in the first place? Gzeilistra and some other members say no. However, there doesn't seem to be much point in using Secunia if we ignore the danger points it raises. If any programs use these older Java versions then perhaps they should be updated or replaced rather than be allowed to keep running, bringing with them the threats Secunia finds.

My response is that you do not need to remove older mayor version releases independent if it is a JRE or specific JDK. Up to roughly six years old releases can be patched so in the life cycle of your PC the most likely found vulnerabilities can be patched and PSI will not mark them as a risk. They are patched.
You could still see if you can remove of the exact same release the old versions and the risk here is very small for the JRE packages. So if you have Java "Java(TM) 6 Update 11" but also the initial release or other Update versions of 6 then it is reasonable to try removing the initial release and/or older updates.
But I would not simply cross remove all of version 5 if you found 6 also installed if you are not sure if it impacts the system. Just patch it and clean it up. That is the safest you can do. For the JDK flavors I must urge the users to only patch them and clean them up. Don't remove the old mayor releases unless the vendor has released a new version for you. If patched and cleaned up then the security risk has been lifted. You are back to 100% with PSI at that point.

Second, assuming you still want to try and rid your computer of old Java, then JavaRA has now done this for me. It isn't a particularly user-friendly installation, but once installed, it works. There is a simple 4-option box menu which includes "Remove Old Versions" and it does exactly what it says on the tin. I haven't (yet) had any programs failing because of this, but like I say, if they do fail then they probably need updating or replacing themselves. Florence Gaskill lists all the problems, which are pretty much the same as mine, but JavaRa solved them in one click.

Let me just point out that JavaRA is only written for JRE installations and is not intended for JDK installations. It is undocumented how it may impact other then JRE installations. So be careful with this tool. Since it has undocumented impact on JDK I would not dare to use it myself. It is not so hard to open the Software Window from the Configuration screen and go to the packages and remove the ones that are out of date. Now at least you know what you are doing. This task does not require to install another software package and is very easy to do.

JavaRA seems to be developed by Sun people, so hopefully it's safe and not a dubious third party package. You can find it here http://raproducts.org/ Choose the Windows Binary File download and read all instructions.

Please do not hint JavaRA to be possible made by Sun because the two people behind this are not working for Sun. This product is written by a young person attending college and a book writer. I would not mark the source as highly qualified. The package may be good for certain purpose but I would not recommend this for business use before running a thorough inventory of the software requirements of applications in-use. Many open source packages these days use JDK so I would recommend to be more careful here unless you have nothing else to do and like to fix the problems you may introduce. PSI will help you find the patches and cleaning it up is nothing more then opening Software in the Configuration window and remove the older Updates under that release. If the application only touches the JRE installs without regards for JDK or compatibility then you are definitely better of doing it manually.

Why does nobody ask himself why Sun keeps those release inside your system when there is absolutely no need for it? Right, may be there is a need. My advice where I would stick to is to applying the suggested updates and clean it up leaving for each version the last updated on your system. This has not caused any problems for me over all the years. But removing as sometimes suggested did cause problems. It is up to the individual to choose. One side note: Sun seems to change the naming on the packages as they have done prior as well. May be this will simplify it even more but if you search in Software under the "J" then you will find the Java installed software very easily.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
stlricky RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 11th Dec, 2008 17:12
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
YoKenny-thanks so much for the link to JavaRa.
I would strongly suggest that some of the forum users give it a try. It's fairly straighforward.
By the way-first time I've actually found something useful on a forum. Too bad I cannot find the same help on the Apple forums with my Imac. After all of this time with Windows, it's a whole new world.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2008 09:54
Last edited on 12th Dec, 2008 09:58
I just communicated with one of the developers behind JavaRA. He confirmed that they are not in any way related to Sun. They can be found in some discussion boards but JavaRA is their utility and I do not think Sun fully supports the way this utility works.

Some facts I got confirmed from the JavaRA developers:
- Their utility will remove all older versions, some log files and the Sun Download Manager. The last one is often installed but has no value for the average user. Great as long as you use Java only for browsing.
- JDK's of any kind are not supported. So they will not be patched, cleaned or whatever you hope it will do. You must manually still do this.
- It will also uninstall all prior JRE versions. So if there are any dependencies, which they confirmed may exist, these programs will be rendered useless.

So it does a good job cleaning the JRE installations but you may find yourself with programs that stop functioning. They confirmed that Sun has also told them that this was the reason to leave the older version in the system. Their opinion is that the average user is helped when you clean up their system and they say the software developers should have released an update to their program.

They are planning to add JDK clean-up as well but told me that this may take some time because it is not being worked on. It is still on the wish list.

All in all, I would only recommend using this utility when you have nothing to fear and have reasonable technical computer skills. If you don't then don't use it. If you have reasonable computer skills you are likely not to use it and to patch the JRE and JDK versions and remove the redundant old versions manually. Which is very easy to do because they are simple to uninstall/remove.

As computer expert I can only advise not to use this utility when you want to avoid reinstalling software that may require an older version of the JRE. At that point you still have to install the older JRE release with the latest update. It can cause you more issues then it may solve. Just patch your system by using the PSI recommendations. Then consider cleaning the older version out manually by going to the Configuration screen and then Software. Browse to the Java installations and clean the older patches under each mayor release and you are done. Be aware that with JRE 6 it is put in a single directory called C:\Program Files\Java\jre6. But for older versions this is not the case and may require reinstalling the affected program(s) when you remove the version it required. For JRE 5 it could be specific to a certain patch, for example C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_17. All JRE versions prior to the latest JRE 6 have their own directory and removing the required version could force you to reinstall the affected software. It is not simple and that is the truth.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2008 10:18
Thanks for the research and extended answers Gzeilstra. I have two further questions:

First, you say:
on 12th Dec, 2008 09:54, gzeilstra wrote:
... consider cleaning the older version out manually by going to the Configuration screen and then Software. Browse to the Java installations and clean the older patches under each mayor release and you are done.

I don't know which configuration screen you mean. Can you explain. This seems to be a solution to my original thread, although JavaRA worked for me.

Second question. Does anyone out there in Forum World know a utility which scans installed programs and finds those using old Java versions? Secunia only finds the Java versions, it doesn't tell you which packages use them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
arildemil RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 12th Dec, 2008 12:45
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
ok do it
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2008 12:46
on 4th Dec, 2008 22:30, Ellis wrote:
Thanks for that, BD.
Okay, I won't delete the directories! Bad idea. All the paths relate to Program Files/Java/[JavaUpdateDirectory]/bin then javaws.exe or eula.dll or java.exe. I wonder that SUN don't have a Remove Old Versions facility - seems strange to leave it to third parties like JavaRA (who have packed up for Christmas, by the way).
E.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2008 12:47
on 4th Dec, 2008 21:56, BigDave_39 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend just deleting files without properly understanding why they are there.

You are welcome to post the exact paths to where the psi found your Java installations, then we might be able to give you some advise on how to proceed?

Not sure about web start, but Java JRE is a plugin for your browsers/operating system that provides some enhanced features (Java). A lot of websites use java to add features, gimmicks and other interactive content. One such example is actually Secunia's online software inspector (osi).

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2008 16:13
Last edited on 16th Dec, 2008 15:16
on 12th Dec, 2008 10:18, Ellis wrote:
Thanks for the research and extended answers Gzeilstra. I have two further

questions:

First, you say:

I don't know which configuration screen you mean. Can you explain. This seems to be a

solution to my original thread, although JavaRA worked for me.

Second question. Does anyone out there in Forum World know a utility which scans installed

programs and finds those using old Java versions? Secunia only finds the Java versions, it

doesn't tell you which packages use them.

It is a bit hard because I am sitting behind a Dutch XP Pro machine but lets try to help you as best as I can. The way to open the utility to remove software is a bit tacky. But lets give you more then you need. There are many ways to Rome so I will give you a few.

Response 1 for Windows 2000) In Windows 2000 click on Start, Settings, Control Panel. Look for Add/Remove Programs. When opened it may take between several seconds up to several minutes to list all installed components. [break-in point other instructions] When you browse down to "J" then you find the various Java distributions on your system. From here you can select one at a time the packages that you want to uninstall/remove. The Remove button will only appear once you have selected a package that you like to remove from your system.

Response 1 for Windows XP) Less acurate but lets try it, I use the "/" because it is one of these descriptions. In Windows XP click on Start, Control Panel/Configuration screen. From here you select Add/Remove Programs/Software. From here continue with the above instructions.

Response 1 for Windows Vista) Less acurate as well, I use the "/" because it is one of these descriptions. In Windows Vista click on Windows Logo, Control Panel/Configuration screen. From here you select Programs/Software. From here continue with the above instructions with the exception that the Remove button does not exist and you have to click on the top row on Remove/change.

Of course there are some hidden tricks to open it directly from the command prompt or under run.
Windows XP default: In Start, run type appwiz.cpl
Windows XP 1: c:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl
Windows XP 2: c:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl,Add/Remove Programs
Windows XP 3: RunDLL32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL c:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl
Windows XP default: In Start, run type appwiz.cpl
Windows 2000 1: c:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl
Windows 2000 2: c:\winnt\system32\appwiz.cpl,Add/Remove Programs
Windows 2000 3: RunDLL32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL c:\winnt\system32\appwiz.cpl
Vista default: In search bar type appwiz.cpl

Tip: you can also type it in the search bar in Vista. When you type "cmd" and Enter then it will open a DOS box where you can type in these commands as well. The default methods are the easist but the others work as well.

Response 2 I have not found a utility that will do that reliably. I have asked somebody if he knew about a utility that uses JRE / JDK. It may take some time because suprisingly enough we cannot find one that is good. Most of them find the JRE and JDK versions but not the other way around.

I hope this is of some help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Dec, 2008 15:21
Thanks for taking so much trouble Gzeilstra and other contributors. Plenty to think about and work on. Much appreciated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Dec, 2008 15:23
Last edited on 16th Dec, 2008 15:52
I have been digging around but a utility does not exist that will tell you which programs are linked to a certain Java distribution. There is also no utility telling you which applications use Java.

Why? Read this and I hope you understand why you cannot write a utility doing this.

Applications do not have to register itself when it wants to use a certain Java distribution. They simply run Java.
Some 'fancy' applications call out specific Java builds, and if not installed will prompt the user to install that specific build. Others will not do that and fail to work. You could wast a lot of time troubleshooting this or simple reinstall the application and update it.

So you still have no clue what software applications really uses those Java distributions. There is no management utility for this as far as we know. If there is one then please tell us because I would love to have that utility. Contact me through sales.at.pepr.com (replace at with @).

Java or better said Sun does provide extented support for Java up to 15 years I believe when a company pays for it. But then you have to get updates through that company who wrote the application.

Additional help I found for people require further assistance with the uninstall process (remove spaces when copying the links, this Forum does not support embedding linkes):

- Java.com help for removing Java: http ://www .java. com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml
- Sun.com download area: http ://www .sun. com/download/index.jsp?tab=5&stab=2
[Please remove spaces when pasting this into your Internet browser address bar]

My advice with the above links is to be careful enough not to dive in anyfurther then your own comfort zone. The first link gives you a good description including some screenshots but the extra link to Microsoft is going a bit far and you should nor require this as long as you have sufficient rights to remove software on your PC (Administrator rights). The second link is useful for those with distributions other then JRE or searching updates beyond the most current JRE releases.

I wish I could have provided the ultimate solution but that does not seem to exist.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jscotteubanks RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 17th Dec, 2008 13:41
User Since: 5th Apr 2008
I don't know if this will help you, but I found that after clicking the + symbol next to the insecure program file, I found that a brand new program had an old version of java installed. Now that's probably not the same insecured program that you have but it can be the same principal. I just followed and went to where the insecured file was, deleted the old version of "let's say the .ocx file" or whatever, "you get what I mean", then copied and pasted the new updated one into that file. Basically, sometimes more than one program can use the same type of file. I found this especially true with java. So, I show two identically patched java files, even though they aren't exactly the same program or in the same location. Just look carefully at where and what the file is. Remember jdk and jre are totally different. One's for development and the other's a runtime environment.

Hope this helps.

--
Foamy Rules!!!

jscotteubanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Dec, 2008 14:11
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2008 14:11
on 17th Dec, 2008 13:41, jscotteubanks wrote:
I don't know if this will help you, but I found that after clicking the + symbol next to the insecure program file, I found that a brand new program had an old version of java installed. Now that's probably not the same insecured program that you have but it can be the same principal. I just followed and went to where the insecured file was, deleted the old version of "let's say the .ocx file" or whatever, "you get what I mean", then copied and pasted the new updated one into that file. Basically, sometimes more than one program can use the same type of file. I found this especially true with java. So, I show two identically patched java files, even though they aren't exactly the same program or in the same location. Just look carefully at where and what the file is. Remember jdk and jre are totally different. One's for development and the other's a runtime environment.

Hope this helps.

You are correct that it will show the instance of the Java JRE where it is installed to make patching easier when it is not located inside the default Program Files folder. The good part is that you know what you are trying to patch and you can restore it when it doesn't work properly. As soon as you update a Java JRE distribution located in a certain folder then the program using it may still fail. So it is reasonable to try but not bullet proof. It however will not tell you what other programs use the Java JRE that is stored in the default Program Files folder. At that moment I think nobody can help you and you have to review all installed software programs and their software requirements/updates.

JDK's are not only for development. When you use the JDK for your application development then you are likely to let the customers deploy it as well. A good sample of this is SugarCRM.

Foamy is good!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jscotteubanks RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 17th Dec, 2008 14:22
User Since: 5th Apr 2008
Yes, make sure to save the removed file to your desktop or somewhere that you can retrieve it easily in case it fails. try the program in question to make sure it works properly before completely deleting it.

Thank you, I forgot to mention that in my earlier reply.

--
Foamy Rules!!!

jscotteubanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lavallie RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 18th Dec, 2008 16:48
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
Secunia is great but the Java issue is like having the police call you and tell you there is a criminal in your house but no one is comming over to get them out!

What is this Java mess. If I didn't need it I would take it all out. And what about those old "insecure" versions? Can they be started/used by malware? Why do I have to have 4-5 versions on my pc.

JAVA-BLOAT!!

That is what I am calling it. Anyone from Sun/Java care to comment?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Chwett RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 18th Dec, 2008 23:33
User Since: 17th Jan 2008
Last edited on 18th Dec, 2008 23:36
I found very convenient the utility at http://raproducts.org/javara.html
Look also for Purera.exe. Merry Xmas, everyone !!
ChWett
Was this reply relevant?
+0
skipper RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 19th Dec, 2008 12:50
User Since: 26th Oct 2008
on 9th Dec, 2008 08:31, wrote:

Download JavaRa:

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2008 12:50
I've read most of the other Java install/un-install problems but am still not sure what to do for these programs: Java Web Start 5.x (2 versions) and Sun Java JRE 1.x (3 versions). All are shown as insecure but none appear in the Add/Remove Programs List. I've looked at the JavaRA site but it isn't easy to know what to download. Is it safe to delete these files through Explorer or is that too risky? What other options are there to get them out of the system? And just as a matter of interest, what is Java Web Start and Java JRE?
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
btbow RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 19th Dec, 2008 14:09
Score: 1
User Since: 18th Sep 2008
Before updating to the latest Java version, I used Revo uninstaller, and to my amazement there were several hundred "obsolete" registry entries.

I was concerned about deleting all of these "obsolete" entries in case it might have some dire consequences, so I created a Restore point, and then did a complete un-install using REVO.

Everything went very well - not only cleaned out registry entries, but also any remaining obsolete files and directories associated with Java.

The new version installed without any hitches, and I have not noticed any lingering problems as a result of performing this complete cleansing of the old Java version.

I think that it is disgusting that major software suppliers such as Sun Java make all sorts of changes/additions to Program files and to the registry, which are NOT removed thoroughly when the Un-install applet is used through the Control Panel
Was this reply relevant?
+0
krankygranny RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 19th Dec, 2008 14:17
User Since: 18th Sep 2008
I highly recommend the wonderful Revo Uninstaller. This removed all of my old, insecure Java versions. Revo gives you the option to uninstall all of the registry items usually left behind. This is a free program which makes it all the more terrific. Have been using this for a long time now and it works very well, with no complaints. And I am definitely not tech intelligent. I think that it's available at download.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2008 15:53
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2008 15:54
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
TomW RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 19th Dec, 2008 21:13
User Since: 24th Sep 2008
Spotted this thread and just thought I would add my observations.

In mid August I suffered endless prompts to update Java, despite having the latest version already installed. I decided to uninstall all Java prior to reinstalling the latest. My thoughts at that time, recorded in my change log were, and I quote - "While I'm not 100% sure whether earlier versions are needed, or not, I am sure that they DAMNED well shouldn't be!". Having used the Java uninstaller I then ran CCleaner on the registry and deleted an unbelievable amount of junk Java had left behind.

After reinstall I then found that EVERY site I visited (Google included) required me to have an earlier version of Java.

I deleted Java in total expecting the worst but, after extensive testing, and again I quote - "UNBELIEVABLE; NO ANNOYING PROMPTS & NO OBVIOUS LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY ~ SO FAR!".

I have only just encountered my first problem after being Java free for almost 4 months. I was unable to progress on a site without Java and decided to give it another go. Having installed the current version I was unable to run Sun verification as it infringes DEP. Nevertheless I decided to retry my problem site - Windows closed Internet Explorer with a DEP infringement error!

I won't live without DEP; I can live without Java!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
WALING RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 19th Dec, 2008 21:22
User Since: 4th Sep 2008
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mrhardy RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 8th Jan, 2009 23:16
User Since: 5th Jan 2009
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2009 05:53
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
margit linnell RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 27th Mar, 2009 16:22
User Since: 3rd Mar 2009
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
margit linnell RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 27th Mar, 2009 16:23
User Since: 3rd Mar 2009
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Apr, 2009 02:01
Last edited on 13th Apr, 2009 02:02 Don't click on Quote without adding a reply.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hasle RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 13th Apr, 2009 06:35
User Since: 4th Feb 2009
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
irishmaiden RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 15th Apr, 2009 06:19
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
I used JavaRA, and found it easy, to use and download, and it worked.
I had several versions in my 'add /remove' list, but no remove button.
Was pleased with how it was so easy to do.

--
irishmaiden
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gertom RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 9th Aug, 2009 15:59
User Since: 9th Aug 2009
regards yokenny! I too was encountering problems with Jav. I followed your link for JavaRa which gave a simple to use remedy. I fully recommend this solution. ...Gertom.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
peter finne RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Member 10th Aug, 2009 05:59
User Since: 11th Feb 2008
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Removing Old Java Versions
Handling Contributor 10th Aug, 2009 10:26
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 10th Aug, 2009 10:27
Peter,
Just follow this script - JAVA is easy to fix.

If U have not got the latest version of JAVA (Version 6 Update 15) download it from here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/

Once the update is complete go to Control Panel>JAVA icon>Update Tab and take the tick out of box marked "Check for updates auto ....." (This will prevent a useless file called JUSCHED from being place in your start up menu.

Now remove all the old dross from previous versions.

The tool will remove all old versions, any useless files from previous installs except for the version U have just installed

http://raproducts.org/

*This link takes U to the site - select the Windows Binary (zip) option.
*This will lead U to Sourceforge.net to download it.
*Save the download to desktop.
*Activate the desktop zip icon which exposes the JAVARA EXE file. Click it
*Select RUN when asked.
*Select your language.
*The tool will now appear on the desktop - select REMOVE OLDER VERSIONS
*Once complete select ADDITIONAL TASKS - tick all boxes & activate.

* Right click on the desktop JAVARA zip file & delete it.

Future Updates Of JAVA.

Once all the old JAVA dross is removed future updating is easy.

Go to Start>Control Panel>click on the JAVA icon>select the Update tab>click the Update Now button.

Once the update is complete take the tick out of box marked "Check for updates auto ....." (This will prevent a useless file called JUSCHED from being place in your start up menu.

Run PSI & all aspects should register as secure.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Aug, 2009 13:52
removing old java versions
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Aug, 2009 13:52
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Aug, 2009 16:22
Peter,
I have given U the solution. I do not understand your last two postings?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Aug, 2009 16:30

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Aug, 2009 16:30
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Aug, 2009 16:33
Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Aug, 2009 16:34

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Aug, 2009 16:45
Peter,
U are asking for a solution which I have given U. Why not look up the facts for youself instead of using other posting details? The facts on removing JAVA are here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderve...

The facts on Web Start are here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/ja...

I am now switching off this thread because my in box is being constantly updated by U filling it with the same old "doubting Thomas" questions.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.