Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player - Need to Delete

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
grinnZ Adobe Flash Player - Need to Delete
Member 6th Dec, 2008 00:19
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Flash Player v9.0.45.0
Listed by Secunia OSI&PSI in three places on my system.

c:\WINDOWS\system32\NPSWF32.dll
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\configuration\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS3\browser\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

I have downloaded and run the Flash Player Uninstaller as provided by Adobe but Secunia still sees the three occurrences of the file.

Now I know that I am able to install FP 10.x, I have had it installed previously and it only left while trying to uninstall 9x. In fact I only learned of the lingering existence of 9x through my Secunia scans. Any thoughts on me going into these three locations, leave the dll in an archive (.rar) in that location, delete the dll, restart, and then simply install 10x? The 10x install would install back anything that is needed for itself and 9x would break. I know that it is not the most elegant solution but when one solution fails then find another. That would be mine. Anybody else?

Comments and/or suggestions for another method would indeed be welcomed.

~ grinnZ ~

This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Flash Player - Need to Delete
Member 6th Dec, 2008 13:44
What operating system and Service Pack are you running?

Are you running as a Limited User or full Administrator?

You may not have sufficient Permission to un-install old Flash Player versions.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
botchika RE: Adobe Flash Player - Need to Delete
Member 6th Dec, 2008 17:38
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Dec 2008
Last edited on 6th Dec, 2008 17:42
Great, suppose I do not have the rights to remove Adobe flash player, what to do next?

I used my mouse as a helicopter over the result in the Secunia report. There came the place where the "enemy" could be found on my PC. I removed it manually, and see, it brought a good result.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jdbell63 RE: Adobe Flash Player - Need to Delete
Member 6th Dec, 2008 17:42
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
Hello there. If you are using WinXP and you are using a default user account chances are you are using the administrative account. Windows Vista is a little different. Even though the user account you are using might be an administrative one, sometimes Vista wants you to authenticate as an administrator before uninstalling programs. That's why the previous person had asked you what O\S you were using. There are ways to uninstall programs as administrator instantly depending on what O\S you are using
Was this reply relevant?
+0
grinnZ RE: Adobe Flash Player - Need to Delete
Member 6th Dec, 2008 22:42
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
Last edited on 6th Dec, 2008 22:53
on 6th Dec, 2008 13:44, wrote:
What operating system and Service Pack are you running?

Are you running as a Limited User or full Administrator?

To answer your question...
XP Pro SP3 / running as Admin

~ grinnZ ~
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kopasz59 RE: Adobe Flash Player - Need to Delete
Member 8th Dec, 2008 00:53
User Since: 8th Dec 2008
Last edited on 8th Dec, 2008 00:54
on 6th Dec, 2008 00:19, grinnZ wrote:
Flash Player v9.0.45.0

I have downloaded and run the Flash Player Uninstaller as provided by Adobe but Secunia still sees the three occurrences of the file.

Now I know that I am able to install FP 10.x, I have had it installed previously and it only left while trying to uninstall 9x. In fact I only learned of the lingering existence of 9x through my Secunia scans. Any thoughts on me going into these three locations, leave the dll in an archive (.rar) in that location, delete the dll, restart, and then simply install 10x? The 10x install would install back anything that is needed for itself and 9x would break. I know that it is not the most elegant solution but when one solution fails then find another. That would be mine. Anybody else?

~ grinnZ ~

Was this reply relevant?
+0
kopasz59 RE: Adobe Flash Player - Need to Delete
Member 8th Dec, 2008 00:56
User Since: 8th Dec 2008
on 6th Dec, 2008 00:19, grinnZ wrote:
Flash Player v9.0.45.0

~ grinnZ ~

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.