Forum Thread: Why so many leftover flash versions? .7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc....

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
CaptainMouse Why so many leftover flash versions? .7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc....
Member 6th Dec, 2008 05:33
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Apr, 2008
System Score: N/A
I removed flash 9 from my system and installed flash 10. Yet the PSI says I have other flash versions I have not used in over a year!

Is this a glitch in the PSI, since the versions are found not in the adobe folder, but in random folders containing other programs and games?

Please help, I fear that I might have insecure software on my system!

And to adobe if it's your fault - LEARN to REMOVE YOUR OLD PROGRAMS before installing the new version! What kind of stupid company would make a new version fixing security risks - yet fail to un-install their previous security weak versions?

Big companies seem to make the biggest blunders!

GailLA RE: Why so many leftover flash versions? .7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc....
Member 6th Dec, 2008 07:13
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
Sometimes other programs install Flash too. Up until 2 days ago I only used the OSI, but it was good at finding old Flash. So when it was flagged I would update Flash and depending on where or what it was I would follow the link that OSI would give me and copy the newly installed file with the same name that was current to the other location(s) by hand. It is a pain but it has worked for me to have secure updates. AFAIK I've never broken an older program that needed Flash in its own folder by doing that.

Also, I haven't looked recently but there used to be a Flash uninstall tool at Adobe.com. I did update Flash after getting PSI and all went smoothly.

My sense of it is that Adobe has recently improved the Flash installer and uninstaller. I don't know for sure. Anyone care to share their experiences with that?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sureshot RE: Why so many leftover flash versions? .7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc....
Member 6th Dec, 2008 11:26
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Why so many leftover flash versions? .7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc....
Member 6th Dec, 2008 12:55
OSI means Online Software Inspector.

Download Adobe Flash Player uninstaller:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?ext...

Close all browsers then run uninstall_flash_player.exe then reboot.

Install the latest Flash Player:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer <== un-check the Google Toolbar if you do not want it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Dec, 2008 15:55
Hi Kenny,

thanks! now I found it, read that post later :o)!

Cheers
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Dec, 2008 18:08
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Dec, 2008 15:50
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Dec, 2008 16:25
Last edited on 7th Dec, 2008 16:25
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Dec, 2008 23:00
Last edited on 7th Dec, 2008 23:03
Not exactly. If you have the latest version installed you are basically good on that so you don't have to re-download it.

If you still have old versions, uninstall the old versions using the Adobe uninstaller referenced above.

After that run PSI again. If you are still showing copies of Flash in oddball locations, it is then that you find the updated file as I outlined above and copy and paste it into the location of the older file.

If that doesn't make sense, it is time to get a friend who understands these things to read this thread and help you out. I wish I were there. I could show you this in seconds. Trying to describe it to someone who hasn't done it is more complicated.

Another thought, if old copies of Flash are showing up under other old programs, you might look into uninstalling or updating those programs. For example, I have Adobe Photoshop Essentials 5 and I don't want to buy the new version right now so to keep the Flash in it updated. It is one of those programs were I copy the updated Flash file by hand when needed. The other option would be to get rid of the program which is not an option I like at this time.

One last thought, while good antivirus doesn't solve all problems, remember that PSI is just one of many layer's of protection I believe we should be using. The first is a good firewall (I have a hardware firewall in the router and a sofware firewall in WinXP) backed up by a good resident antivirus (I use Nod32). Then make sure all the anti-phishing stuff is turned on in your browser and your email program. After that either use a resident anti-spyware or scan regularly with a non-resident anti-spyware program. Practice safe surfing and be wary of anything unexpected that pops up. Even with all of this you can get infected but the odds are very slim. I very rarely see a warning from my anti-virus and that is usually in an already deleted junk email (very rare since your ISP or Web host should have anti-virus filtering on your incoming email).

Secunia would probably tell you to follow all its recommendations. But remember, if for example an old program that you still need is flagged, if you are several different layers of protection the chances of becoming infected or rooted via that vector are slim indeed. Just my 2 cents but it is important to be prudent but not anal-retentive, IMHO. (those who disagree, please no flames)

Take care and best wishes. Don't do anything you are unsure of. Seek the counsel of someone more experienced, hopefully in person. You can mess up your computer if you don't know what you are doing, so if you are not sure about what I said, find a local geek you trust. Most of us have at least one friend or relative who is into these things and willing to help.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Dec, 2008 17:30
Last edited on 8th Dec, 2008 17:34
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Dec, 2008 19:52
sureshot,

Glad you got it fixed up. I agree with most of what you said. I admit I still surf with an admin account in XP, but your advice is good. One proggy that I really like is Spywareblaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.htm... It helps put a lot of baddies into the restricted zones. I've tried restricing everything and then selectivly putting the good sites into trusted, but frankly, it is too much annoying work. I normally surf with Firefox anyway with Adblock enabled. That also helps block some things. I think we all need to find our own comfort zones -- the balance between security and usability. I've tried using less than an admin account on XP and also disabling JavaScript using NoScript in Firefox and it just breaks more then it solved for me. That doesn't mean those layers of protection aren't worthy, just that I find others methods more to my taste. I guess the proof is that I clean up the computers of others while only ever updating security software and running clean scans, except for an ocassiona tracking cookie, on my own. I do believe that PSI is an important part of security or I wouldn't be using it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm sorry I wasn't able to explain things better in text, but am glad that you figured it out. I guess you are the neighborhood geek after all.

Take care and best wishes.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Why so many leftover flash versions? .7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc....
Member 8th Dec, 2008 23:31
WinPatrol is great at monitoring new ActixeX scripts.
I liked it so much I have even purchased the PLUS version and have the Scotty Flash card wrist strap:
http://www.winpatrol.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Dec, 2008 16:36
Thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely have a look at it!!

Greetz,
sureshot
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ncajaa RE: Why so many leftover flash versions? .7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc....
Member 10th Dec, 2008 02:41
I have no idea. I just assumed that the older version was removed when installing the new version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.