Forum Thread: Difficulty in updating.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Intel
And, this specific program:
Intel PROSet/Wireless Software 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nepeta Difficulty in updating.
Member 9th Dec, 2008 01:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2008 01:57

Hello. Could anybody please help me? The Intel website is double Dutch to me - I don't know what is meant by 'Intel PROSet/Wireless Software 10.x." I don't understand what kind of software this is or how to update it. I run IE7 and Windows XP (32-bit) Media Center edition, with SP3, and am a beginner with computers. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5633 WLMi, purchased in the spring of last year. Secunia indicates that the above-mentioned Intel program contains a vulnerability...If only I understood how to rectify this! I need a foolproof method, such as a link leading to the very precise solution to the problem, i.e. to the exact download required. And then? Do I just manually delete the offending program? Its installation path is c:\Program Files\Intel|Wireless\Bin\iFrmewrk.exe. Nepeta.

P.S.: Device Manager tells me that one of my 2 network adapters is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - not that this means anything to me!

Red Dawn RE: Difficulty in updating.
Member 9th Dec, 2008 03:59
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Jan 2008
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2008 04:02
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Dec, 2008 04:11
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2008 04:12
Sorry, I don't know how to make their web page not whack that URL. It won't be clickable, but the address is www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
(Triple W DOT mozilla DOT com slash en-us slash firefox slash)

Preceeded by http://, of course.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Difficulty in updating.
Member 9th Dec, 2008 08:15
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2008 08:18 Everyone knows Red Dawn at morn is a sailors warning.

IE can be made just as safe as Firefox but the Firefox Fanboys like to spread FUD as thick as an Antarctic glacier:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11...

Personally I prefer IE7 with IE7Pro or Opera 10.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nepeta RE: Difficulty in updating.
Member 9th Dec, 2008 21:36
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
Thank you, Red Dawn! Unfortunately, no Intel software appears under the 'Patched' tab.
Nepeta.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2008 21:12
I am so sorry! The vulnerable Intel software would appear on the Insecure tab of the PSI underneath "Insecure Programs", but I'm sure you figured that out...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nepeta RE: Difficulty in updating.
Member 13th Dec, 2008 00:43
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
Thank you, Red Dawn. You are quite right - the vulnerability does appear under the 'Insecure' tab; and I have clicked the download button, but this leads to an Intel support page which is really very confusing to someone who knows nothing about network connections. It doesn't, unfortunately, lead to any downloadable program.

I get the impression I may be expected to download Intel (R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility for Windows XP 32-Bit, version 12.1.2.0x32.exe. - and presumably at this point delete the offending program and then install the one just downloaded. But! This really is only an uninformed guess on my part. I see no available update for the program containing the vulnerability.

Any ideas? Nepeta.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Dec, 2008 23:17
Yeah, it's been my experience with the PSI that you usually have to do a bit of research and reading since there really is no way to bring the end-user up to speed on the nearly-infinite number of possible hardware configurations out there. However, the links provided are usually amazingly precise and relevant.

From the little I've read about it, the vulnerable Intel software we're speaking of seems to me to be aimed at enterprise-level and/or high-end purposes. I think you'd be quite safe to simply get rid of it. But you might be more comfortable to go ahead with your plan and install version 12.1 of the software. (?)

The way I see it, is that you aren't utilizing that Intel (R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility right now and things are working well enough for you, right? Just uninstall it and rid yourself of the vulnerable code. I'm sure that there is no shortage of other things you could be worrying about instead. (That is, only if your heart is beating! ;-))
Was this reply relevant?
+0
purple_reading_giraffe RE: Difficulty in updating.
Member 18th Mar, 2009 06:25
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
How can Red Dawn possibly know whether or not the OP is using her Wireless connection??? So someone follows this advice, and lo and behold cannot connect to the internet. Please think before advising someone to uninstall things. Just because Secunia says a piece of software should be updated and someone is having difficulty locating an update is no reason to trash one's working system. I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of the systems that people have just installed Secunia on have been working without these updates, so there is certainly time to make sure before deleting things.

I agree with the OP that the information is difficult to understand at the Intel website. The thing that I understood that seemed most helpful was Intel's suggestion to go to the computer manufacturer's website and check there first, as the mfr may have made changes to the Intel software. So, as this is the only topic covering my issue which is the same as the OP's, I shall try the mfr's website and ignore RedDawn's assumption that I have no use for my wireless connectivity.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Hede-Jensen RE: Difficulty in updating.
Member 12th Apr, 2009 21:20
User Since: 4th Apr 2009
on 9th Dec, 2008 01:46, Nepeta wrote:
Hello. Could anybody please help me? The Intel website is double Dutch to me - I don't know what is meant by 'Intel PROSet/Wireless Software 10.x." I don't understand what kind of software this is or how to update it. I run IE7 and Windows XP (32-bit) Media Center edition, with SP3, and am a beginner with computers. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5633 WLMi, purchased in the spring of last year. Secunia indicates that the above-mentioned Intel program contains a vulnerability...If only I understood how to rectify this! I need a foolproof method, such as a link leading to the very precise solution to the problem, i.e. to the exact download required. And then? Do I just manually delete the offending program? Its installation path is c:\Program Files\Intel|Wireless\Bin\iFrmewrk.exe. Nepeta.

P.S.: Device Manager tells me that one of my 2 network adapters is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - not that this means anything to me!

Was this reply relevant?
+0

Was this reply relevant?
+0

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.