Forum Thread: How to uninstall

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JDK 1.5.x / 5.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
jware5558 How to uninstall
Member 9th Dec, 2008 20:11
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Feb, 2008
System Score: N/A
I have Sun Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x and 1.6.x/6.x identified as insecure on my computer after a Secunia scan but the programs don't appear in Windows Add/Remove programs and there is no support provided on the Sun Microsystems website for Java software. Does anyone know how to uninstall old versions of these programs when the latest version in installed (as also indentified by Secunia)?

mapych RE: How to uninstall
Member 10th Dec, 2008 14:09
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
You should tell us in which folders PSI find these outdated Java versions.

Depending where they are located it is normal that they don't appear in the add/remove list...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jware5558 RE: How to uninstall
Member 12th Dec, 2008 00:48
User Since: 23rd Feb 2008
One insecure program line in PSI is Sun Java JRE 1.5x/5x, v. 5.0.90.3, with path c:\program files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\java.exe. Another line is Sun Java JRE 1.6x/6x, v. 6.0.70.6,, path c:\program files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java.exe. I have another line which is Sun Java JRE 1.6x/6x, v. 6.0.30.5, path c:\program files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\java.exe. I also have a Java Web Start 5.x, v. 5.0.90.3, path c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\javaws.exe.

Can you assist me in updating/deleting this identified threat files?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mapych RE: How to uninstall
Member 12th Dec, 2008 01:23
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Last edited on 12th Dec, 2008 01:29
The Path you told us about seems to be standard typical JREs.

on 9th Dec, 2008 20:11, jware5558 wrote:
I have Sun Java JRE 1.5.x/5.x and 1.6.x/6.x identified as insecure on my computer after a Secunia scan but the programs don't appear in Windows Add/Remove programs

The name of Java JREs under Add/Remove change all the time.
The only thing which should always appears in the App Title is the Word Java or JRE
Can you tell me the name of all Apps containing the word Java or JRE under Add/Remove.

If they are under Add/Remove you should be able to remove all older versions without problems.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: How to uninstall
Member 12th Dec, 2008 08:19
This has been discussed before:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/776...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2008 01:30
Last edited on 24th Dec, 2008 01:31
The only Java listings I have under Add/Remove Programs are Java 6 Update 3 and Java 6 Update 7. There aren't any other Java listings include Sun Java. I can't remove any of the suspect programs using Add/Remove programs.

There was some discussion in the thread listed in the last post by YoKenny that maybe the old versions of Java should not be removed as they may be linked to existing programs. That whole thread series left me more confused about what to do with these insecure programs identified by PSI than before.

Any suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rab RE: How to uninstall
Member 24th Dec, 2008 11:06
User Since: 20th Jan 2008
Java 6 update 11 is the newest java. That is the only program that should be in add/remove programs. Any older updates can be unistalled. When java updates it does not unistall there older version. Once i have have installed the newest Java, I test it to be sure it is working correctly. Then uninstall the older update.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: How to uninstall
Handling Contributor 26th Dec, 2008 23:35
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I would download & install the latest Java from here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp?loc...

Then,use all the removal facilities offered by JavaRa at:
http://raproducts.org/
Download & save the binary(zip) file to desktop & use it from there.

This should clear out all the old versions.

Check Control Panel>add/remove & you should only see JAVA (TM)6 UPDATE 11
Reboot & rerun Secunia.
I use this method everytime Java is updated & have never experienced any problems.
In the unlikely event of still finding old Java programmes U may wish to use this programme:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Maurice

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mike@htpm.co.uk RE: How to uninstall
Member 28th Dec, 2008 00:15
User Since: 7th Dec 2008
on 24th Dec, 2008 01:30, jware5558 wrote:
The only Java listings I have under Add/Remove Programs are Java 6 Update 3 and Java 6 Update 7. There aren't any other Java listings include Sun Java. I can't remove any of the suspect programs using Add/Remove programs.

There was some discussion in the thread listed in the last post by YoKenny that maybe the old versions of Java should not be removed as they may be linked to existing programs. That whole thread series left me more confused about what to do with these insecure programs identified by PSI than before.

Any suggestions?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mike@htpm.co.uk RE: How to uninstall
Member 28th Dec, 2008 00:15
User Since: 7th Dec 2008
on 24th Dec, 2008 01:30, jware5558 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jan, 2009 20:37
Thank all who have responded to my questions for your advice, which I followed and has solved by issues with the PSI warnings. I now have 100% on my PSI security score. Excellent product!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.