Forum Thread: Uninstalling or deleting it.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Macromedia Flash Player 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Florence Gaskill Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 9th Dec, 2008 21:16
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Macromedia Flash Player 7.x(ActiveXcontrol)Version7.0.19 shows up as an End of Life Program. I clicked on the link provided. That installed Adobe Flash Player Version 10,0,12,36. Rather than patching or fixing Version 7.0.19,the best thing to do is to uninstall or delete it. Clicking the file icon opens the i386 folder(C:i386\Flash.ocx). On the screen, a windows explorer section appears and a screen similar to control panel w/lots of icons, all labeled, in alphabetical order.If I knew just which one is Macromedia Flash Player 7.x (Active XControl) Version 7.0.19, all I would have to do is select the file and delete it. So my questions are:
What does the icon look like? What is the label under it? And when I rest my mouse on it, what is the description?
It seems this would delete Version7.0.19 without disturbing anything else that is already in place that I want to keep.
I have rescanned the program, at least twice, and it still shows up after I used the link.

mapych RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 10th Dec, 2008 12:23
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
on 9th Dec, 2008 21:16, Florence Gaskill wrote:
Macromedia Flash Player 7.x(ActiveXcontrol)Version7.0.19 shows up as an End of Life Program.
Clicking the file icon opens the i386 folder(C:i386\Flash.ocx).

The active Adobe Flash ActiveX files are normaly located under c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

Your flash.ocx file is located in c:i386 which is typically a windows setup source directory, which contains tons of old files.

This kind of directory generate PSI alarms for files which are not active in your windows PC (not used in memory, not used by apps).

It is not a good idea to delete this directory or this file because Windows could need it in case you modify or have to reinstall your windows installation.

So I think that most users here are putting directory like c:\i386 on the list of directory to ignore (go to Settings Tab).

Was this reply relevant?
+0
rocketgirl523 RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 21st Dec, 2008 00:41
User Since: 8th Aug 2008
You'll find it in your temp files( mfpl7014.dll) 896kb it is O.K. to delete.The notifier for your Incredimail is using an outdated flash I've tried updating,changing notifiers etc... I give up ! i just delete it once a day

--
cancer can't kill your spirit
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 21st Dec, 2008 03:16
on 21st Dec, 2008 00:41, rocketgirl523 wrote:
You'll find it in your temp files( mfpl7014.dll) 896kb it is O.K. to delete.The notifier for your Incredimail is using an outdated flash I've tried updating,changing notifiers etc... I give up ! i just delete it once a day

I would ignore anyone that uses Incredimail as that bloat can get infested with malware faster than a Bangladesh brothel.

HTML email received with Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail is an easy way to have you system infected.

Make sure that you read email in Plain Text only.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pdpaul RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 24th Dec, 2008 22:30
User Since: 17th Dec 2008
Sorry im a "newbe" trying to remove Macro flash player 7.x from pc.Using windows XP. Type in c;\windows\system32\macromed\flash and get
Index of file:///c:/windows/system32/macromed/flash/

Up to higher level directory

Show hidden objects
Name Size Last Modified
File:FlashUtil9e.exe 214 KB 11/20/2007 4:04:14 PM
File:NPSWF32.dll 3609 KB 10/4/2008 8:24:02 PM
File:NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe 231 KB 10/4/2008 8:24:04 PM
File:flashplayer.xpt 1 KB 10/4/2008 8:11:32 PM
File:install.log 36 KB 12/19/2008 2:09:38 PM
File:uninstall_plugin.exe 83 KB 12/19/2008 2:09:35 PM

Used windows search and found file c:\i386. Where is settings tab?? using firfox 3 and looked under tools. Sorry to be so dumb but want to get rid of flash player 7.x so please spell it out for a dumb 75 yr old senior...
What do I do now???? Tried windows search. found C:\I386
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Handling Contributor 25th Dec, 2008 00:28
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 25th Dec, 2008 00:33
Try using the Adobe Flash uninstaller from:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?ext...

Close any browsers before uninstall.

Once complete you will need to reinstall latest player from here
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

You can ignore the flash player found in C:\i386 folder

Maurice

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Beaker RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 5th Jan, 2009 18:59
Score: 1
User Since: 1st Jun 2008
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2009 19:35
The best bet with this troublesome Flash Player is to create an 'Ignore Rule' in Secunia as suggested by 'mapych' on 10th Dec. As this implies, Secunia will then no longer include this Flash Player in its scans. It is easy to do.

1. Start Secunia and open the End-of-Life tab.

2. Click on the '+' next to where it says 'Macromedia Flash Player 7.x (ActiveX Control)'

3. Scroll down to 'Installation Path' just below. Highlight and copy the listed filepath which will be something like c:\WINDOWS\system32\flash.ocx

4. Now click on the Settings tab at the top of the Secunia interface.

5. Scroll down to, and click on 'Create Ignore Rule'.

6. In the window that opens, enter a Rule Name in the appropriate box. 'Macromedia Flash 7' or something similar will do.

7. In the box where it says Rule[?], paste the filepath copied in step three.

8. Click on 'Save Ignore Rule', wait a couple of seconds (if your PC's as slow as mine) and then click OK in the pop-up which appears.

Voila! No more hassle.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Syed Amanat Ali RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 5th Jan, 2009 20:04
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
I have completely deleted Adobe Reader 7. from my machine and has installed Adobe Reader 8.o, but whenever I am using Secunia PSI for scan it is showing Adobe Reader 7.0 infected threat 4. how to getrid of secunia windows warning.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Syed Amanat Ali RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 5th Jan, 2009 20:05
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
I have completely deleted Adobe Reader 7. from my machine and has installed Adobe Reader 8.o, but whenever I am using Secunia PSI for scan it is showing Adobe Reader 7.0 infected threat 4. how to getrid of secunia windows warning.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Jan, 2009 20:27
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2009 20:29
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mapych RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 6th Jan, 2009 00:07
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Create an ignore rule is not the first solution to try, but the last.

PSI is sometimes slow to "see" that you fixed the problem. PSI does only one full scan per week, and in the meantime it does sometimes miss that you fixed the problem...

1. After installing an update, I first wait some minutes to see if PSI detects I've done something.
2. If PSI does not change its mind, I press the little re-scan button.
3. If this does not help, I reboot my PC
4. if this does not help, I launch a Full Scan in the PSI Scan Tab.

Many people here had succes doing this.

If that does not help, the next step is to look at the file and path of the file PSI detects as beeing outdated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Handling Contributor 6th Jan, 2009 01:28
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I think we are all agreed on the action plan from the original thread.
Because the offending Flash file is in the C:\i386 folder an ignore rule can be created.

In the case of Syed with Acobat Reader I agree with Mapych. Hiding a known security flaw defeats the object of using Secunia.

I believe Syed is using the wrong Reader version anyway. The latest Adode Reader is version 9 not 8.

On that basis I would uninstall all copies of Adobe Reader.
Rerun PSI using the advanced interface and if any Reader files show up track them dowm & delete the.
Do a PSI rerun as described by Mapych above to double check there are no remaining security issues.

Once all the issues are resolved install Adobe Reader version 9 from here:http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ or better still install the FOXIT Reader which is much faster and lighter on resources than Adobe. Details are here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2009 02:40
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2009 02:44
Yes, I jumped the gun a bit there, suggesting Syed create an Ignore Rule for Adobe Reader 7 before trying anything else first. I wrongly assumed it was just another problem file the same as the Macromedia 7 one. Apologies to all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
LAA RE: Uninstalling or deleting it.
Member 30th Mar, 2009 09:41
User Since: 24th Mar 2009
Macromedia Flash Player 7.x(ActiveXcontrol)Version7.0.19 shows up as an End of Life Program. I clicked on the link provided. That installed Adobe Flash Player Version 10,0,12,36. Rather than patching or fixing Version 7.0.19,the best thing to do is to uninstall or delete it. Clicking the file icon opens the i386 folder(C:i386\Flash.ocx). On the screen, a windows explorer section appears and a screen similar to control panel w/lots of icons, all labeled, in alphabetical order.If I knew just which one is Macromedia Flash Player 7.x (Active XControl) Version 7.0.19, all I would have to do is select the file and delete it. So my questions are:
What does the icon look like? What is the label under it? And when I rest my mouse on it, what is the description?
It seems this would delete Version7.0.19 without disturbing anything else that is already in place that I want to keep.
I have rescanned the program, at least twice, and it still shows up after I used the link.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.