Forum Thread: You're offering an obosolete version

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
CAOgdin You're offering an obosolete version
Member 9th May, 2011 01:32
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Bonjour is at v1.0.6; the V2.0.3 product is a DIFFERENT one, call Bonjour Print Service. You keep offering me V1.05, or the Printer add-on, neither of which are correct. Please go understand what Bonjour IS, and how Apple sells it as an OEM product (e.g., to TiVo).

xyzzy RE: You're offering an obosolete version
Member 15th May, 2011 17:01
Score:
User Since: 7th Mar 2008
Hi, there is one "active" (2009) Secunia program forum for Apple Bonjour 1.x, see http://secunia.com/community/forum/?forum=2&vendor...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
CAOgdin RE: You're offering an obosolete version
Member 16th May, 2011 14:54
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Your post was most UNHELPFUL. That thread was LOCKED a long time ago.

I have been in contact with Secunia support, where I wrote my understanding of the issue:

Bonjour is an OEM product, not sold or offered for download to individual customers (http://www.apple.com/support/bonjour/). The most popular OEM customer for Bonjour is TiVo, who's TiVo Desktop uses Bonjour as it's vehicle for communicating across a network to the TiVo device. Updates are supplied to Bonjour as part of the updates to TiVo Desktop, and the two modules must be in sync WRT version. While Bonjour is installed on Windows as a separate application, it is the TiVo Desktop installer that puts it there, because that's the way Apple designed it to be installed. Bonjour's benefit is that it is a common networking control platform with the same functionality on both WinTel and Mac systems.

You should also distinguish between Bonjour (the base product, V1.06?) and the optional add-on called Bonjour Print Services (v2...), which is used for (rare) printers that adhere to the Bonjour protocols (not unlike HP's JetDirect).

Reading Apple's site (link, above) illustrates that Apple is not very forthcoming with either a consistent, downloadable base tool, or with adequate documentation for end users.

My recommendation: Remove Bonjour from Secunia's sweep of products, because upgrading it without also upgrading the dependent product could result in a broken product.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xyzzy RE: You're offering an obosolete version
Member 18th May, 2011 00:41
Score:
User Since: 7th Mar 2008
Well, I didn't claim that the thread is unlocked, but there are three product forums for three "Bonjour" products, and one of the three forums wasn't empty. I'm only a PSI user and have no Bonjour on my boxes, therefore that's all I can say about it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.