Forum Thread: Windows Vista SP2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
peskyesky Windows Vista SP2
Member 11th Dec, 2008 07:33
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Apparently PSI has not caught up to the latest info yet. I just downloaded SP2 for Vista (I must say it works remarkable well) and already PSI reports it as unsafe needing to be updated. Come on guys, if you're supposed to be keeping us up on the latest, then you have to keep up on the latest!

This user no longer exists RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 11th Dec, 2008 10:42
Vista SP2 is still beta so when it is final its definitions will be updated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
peskyesky RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 11th Dec, 2008 16:05
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
I like trying out the new hence I am running Google Chrome (Beta), Firefox 3.1 (Beta1), Firefox 3.1 (Beta2), IE8 (Beta)and Opera 10 (Alpha). None of these show up in PSI as insecure so I guess I can't really aply your logic to the reason why Vista SP2 (Beta) shows up as insecure in PSI. Next Choice?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
edsfisher RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 21st Aug, 2009 00:12
User Since: 13th Jan 2008
I am also experiencing the Vista SP2 as insecure. Maybe someone knows something we don't?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pookey RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 21st Aug, 2009 00:54
User Since: 19th Jun 2008
As Service Pack 2 has now been out for some time, there are several Critical Security Updates that you need to install.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
edsfisher RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 21st Aug, 2009 01:03
User Since: 13th Jan 2008
Well not according to Windows update. There are no critical updates listed for my PC. So I am at a loss.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Aug, 2009 01:17
So you have updated since you installed sp2? Cause there are several security updates for users with sp2 when i do a Google Search. Also note, that if you A) have an illegitimate copy of Vista or B) use a Customized Disk then you will run into problems updating.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
edsfisher4 RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 21st Aug, 2009 01:44
User Since: 9th Nov 2008
Yes, I have updated my legitimate copy. I even went to Windows Update today. So I am at a loss. PSI also flagged older versions of MS software (.Net & Windows Media Player) in the SD directories of Windows Update. I deleted those (sent to the recycle bin in case I needed them back). PSI then flagged them in the recycle bin as well.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Aug, 2009 02:42
Its safe to delete old versions of media player.

Do not delete old versions of .NET Framework. .NET 3.0 is not a newer version of .NET 2.0. It is an entirely seperate version. So if you delete .NET 1.1 a program may stop functioning as .NET 2.0 does not contain the .NET 1.1 code base.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
edsfisher4 RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 21st Aug, 2009 03:39
User Since: 9th Nov 2008
No problem. Unless Windows Update deletes something, I rarely delete MS stuff just because of things like that.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 21st Aug, 2009 08:56
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Reboot. Windows doesn't apply updates properly before reboots.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tedherzog RE: Windows Vista SP2
Member 21st Aug, 2009 19:25
User Since: 5th Nov 2008
I seem to have this same problem and rebooting doesn't fix it. I am getting two security warnings with PSI. One for "Windows Vista SP2" and another for "Windows Media Player 11.X." If you click on Download solution it takes you to Windows Update, which finds no updates to install. If you click on "Online References" and then click on the Secunia Advisory, and then go to the 2nd page of the advisory, you will find links to download MS patches for the stated security advisory. However, I downloaded both and tried to run both and they both report "This update does not apply to your system." So, what the heck? Do I have security issues or not? If I don't what do I have to do to get these bogus warnings to go away and why are they happening in the first place
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.