Forum Thread: Utility to set an ActiveX Control's Killbit?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mmo Utility to set an ActiveX Control's Killbit?
Member 16th May, 2011 13:35
Ranking: -3
User Since: 28th Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 16th May, 2011 13:35

Since yesterday PSI reports that I have two ActiveX controls (Data Dynamics ActiveBar v1.x and v2.x) installed which both reached end of life and one of them represents a security problem. But how do I resolve this issue?

When I click the "Remove" link I am sent to the installed programs overview, where the term "Data Dynamics ActiveBar" doesn't show up (none of its fragments). Apparently this ActiveX Control is some component that is used by (and was installed as part of) some program but without knowledge, WHICH program came with and installed this component there isn't much a normal user can do about this. Is there some utility that figures out, which program installed that component?

It's also too difficult for normal users to fiddle with the registry and set that "killbit" manually as the linked advisory suggests. Couldn't Secunia provide a corresponding utility to semi-automatically (i.e. with user's consent) apply the changes that PSI suggests? That would make life much easier (and safer).

Michael

Maurice Joyce RE: Utility to set an ActiveX Control's Killbit?
Handling Contributor 17th May, 2011 18:14
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Michael,
It looks like U are requesting a new feature. Better U follow the Secunia guidelines to get a timely response:

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#q15

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.