Forum Thread: Why do you use internet explorer?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
masterxenu Why do you use internet explorer?
Member 13th Dec, 2008 12:22
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 13th Dec, 2008 12:23

I was surprised to find upon disabling all the internet options for internet explorer that secunia PSI no longer worked. It would seem that it needs access to add-ons etc. from internet explorer. For security reasons I don't use internet explorer and find it annoying that a lot of programs open it up even though it is not my default browser.

PSI is a great idea but I find it baffling that you would base it round internet explorer which is inherently insecure and dangerous. At this point in time Microsoft are advising people not to use it due to zero day exploits.

I would strongly advise you to rewrite the program without any reliance on internet explorer if you want it to be treated as a serious security application.

redkat RE: Why do you use internet explorer?
Member 14th Dec, 2008 20:54
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Sep 2008
I agree I am not that savvy on the operating systems, but I would like to know why we have to use adobe also.

--
The redkat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Why do you use internet explorer?
Member 14th Dec, 2008 23:15
It is Much ado about Nothing as William Shakespeare said propagated by the Microsoft haters that would prefer everyone use an Apple Mac or some flavour of Linux.

There is NO evidence of the threat in the wild and I am sure that if it was Microsoft would have a fix for it real quick.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pipesmoker RE: Why do you use internet explorer?
Member 17th Dec, 2008 12:11
User Since: 17th Dec 2008
I have to agree, I'm going to just have Secunia check my apps, then I'll update manually in Firefox. Especially with the latest flaw kicking about [17th dec 08].

Won't go as far as uninstalling Secunia [yet] but I was briefly tempted if it uses one of the least secure browsers, and doesn't even let you change it in options.

G>
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RussellH RE: Why do you use internet explorer?
Member 9th Feb, 2009 03:38
User Since: 2nd Feb 2009
Hello, I just usually read these threads, but I was having similar problem, and all of a sudden it opens with AOL now I am confused also, since it says everything is fine I am in the green. But when I try to get into IE7 it won't allow me to get into IE7 and as far as using update I get red X and error messaage can you advise me on this issue? Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Why do you use internet explorer?
Handling Contributor 9th Feb, 2009 10:58
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 9th Feb, 2009 13:11
The reason Secunia uses IE is fully explained in their FAQ which is here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

I would love to see the evidence that makes IE dangerous particularly IE8.

Firefox also has major security flaws the latest one on 3rd February 2009 details are here:

http://www.mozilla.org/security/

Although I do not use Firefox, it, like most browsers, are targets by hackers & those wishing to spoil other peoples enjoyment of surfing the net.

Despite the Firefox flaws I would not discourage people from using it nor would I describe it as dangerous without solid evidence.

I live near William Shakepeare's home. I am am sure he would approve of the saying "Never throw stones if U live in a glasshouse"

It is much better to advertise safe surfing rather than browser bashing.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Doink RE: Why do you use internet explorer?
Member 9th Feb, 2009 14:02
User Since: 2nd Feb 2009
"At this point in time Microsoft are advising people not to use it due to zero day exploits."

*Giggle*
Erhmn...I mean, can i please look at that link? I find it werry amu...Intereresting
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Why do you use internet explorer?
Handling Contributor 9th Feb, 2009 15:15
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 9th Feb, 2009 19:22
What is the link to this Microsoft advice?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.