Forum Thread: Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
TR_66 Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet
Member 14th Dec, 2008 00:44
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
I just installed PSI on an HP Notebook PC running XP Home Edition with SP3. There were no errors during installation. But when I try to run PSI, I get the following error:

"Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet"

However, this PC is connected to the Internet. In fact, at the same time that I get this error running PSI, I can still go onto the Secunia website and successfully run a scan using OSI.

I have no firewall on this PC except for the built-in Windows Firewall. And I have already tried disabling that -- which didn't help any. Also, I am not using any proxy server; and I have no proxy server settings configured.

I have installed the PSI software as the Administrator user on this PC; and I am logged into the Administrator account at the time that I try to run PSI. The only browser on the PC is Internet Explorer 7, with all the latest patches (version 7.0.5730.11).

I have another PC (running Vista) that I can plug into the same Internet connection -- with or without its firewall enabled -- and this Vista PC can run PSI scans all day long without any problems or Internet connection errors.

Does anyone have any idea what would make PSI think that it can't connect to the Internet on my notebook PC?

This user no longer exists RE: Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet
Member 14th Dec, 2008 03:16
How is the system connected?

By wired connection or wireless?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TR_66 RE: Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet
Member 14th Dec, 2008 03:55
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Dec 2008
The connection on both PCs -- both the Vista PC (where PSI works) and the XP PC (where PSI fails) -- is a simple 56K modem dial-up connection. The measured connection speed is between 45 and 49 Kbps. For troubleshooting purposes, I'm using the same phone line and phone jack for both systems. I just unplug the cable from one system, and move it to the other system. That way I'm using the same baseline Internet connection for both PCs.

Also, both systems are logging into the same ISP, using the same account credentials. So, again, there are no differences in the connection between the working and non-working system.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jscotteubanks RE: Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet
Member 17th Dec, 2008 14:09
User Since: 5th Apr 2008
I'm running xp with a 56k dial up modem as well, I've noticed that if there are any programs running in the background,"connected to the internet" psi will not connect. Try opening your task manager and see if there is anything running, if so close it. PSI is kind of an internet hog.

--
Foamy Rules!!!

jscotteubanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TR_66 RE: Error: The Secunia PSI is unable to connect to the Internet
Member 17th Dec, 2008 17:52
User Since: 14th Dec 2008
*** PROBLEM SOLVED ***

I finally found a solution to the PSI "unable to connect" problem. It appears that the issue was due to one of my Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) settings. At some point in the past, I had customized some of the IE7 Security settings for the "Internet Zone" to make web access more restrictive than the default (Medium-high) setting. Unfortunately, I made several changes at that time; and I didn't document which particular settings I had changed.

In any case, yesterday, as part of troubleshooting this PSI problem, I reset all my IE7 Security settings back to their default. And after doing that, PSI suddenly started working. It is now able to connect every time I've run it in the past 24 hours (whereas it was never able to connect previously).

So, if you find yourself running into this same "PSI is unable to connect" error, here's the solution that worked for me:
=====
1. In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools".
2. Click "Internet Options".
3. Click the "Security" tab.
4. Click the button labeled "Reset all zones to default level".
5. Click "Apply", then "OK".
6. Close any open IE7 windows after making this change.
7. Run the PSI application again.
=====

NOTE: If the button in step 4 is greyed out for you, then it means your IE7 settings are already set to the default -- in which case, if PSI still can't connect, you've got some other problem going on.

Anyway, I hope this information helps anyone else out there who may run into the same issue that I did. Good luck.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.