Forum Thread: Love it, BUT .... geesh

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
This user no longer exists Love it, BUT .... geesh
Member 14th Dec, 2008 22:08
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 14th Dec, 2008 22:15

Initial experience:

Download and install: no problem

First scan: fine

First two one-click fixes: fine

Remaining FOUR Sun Java JRE 1.6x/6.x one click fixes sent me to Internet Explorer which got "page not found" errors.

Rebooted computer: next PSI auto-start blew up and crashed.

A restart of the program manually worked.

What's with the threat rating? Everything shows what I might call a "legend" bar of little squares: green, lime, yellow, orange, gray.

You have to HOVER over the bar to actually know what the level is: why isn't it just a single color/number of the risk for that item?

As is true so often, it's not obvious what the RANGE of possible scores are (1 to 5?) nor whether higher is better or worse.

Is gray supposed to be the worst? Seems like RED would be the usual and correct choice.

Clicking on "Forum" button invokes THIS improperly formed URL: http://%22http//secunia.com/community/psi/?&app=12..."%20-k

Note that IE cannot open that address and instead triggers a "page not found error".

Some other click produced a similar but different final slash/tokens. Sane URL (embedded spaces (as %20) is one part of the problem. Double HTTP: (one of which is missing a colon) is another.

Clicking the forum tab insisted I didn't have a profile. Apparently the forum has an independent user/pw scheme, and an independent email verification; isn't one account enough?

When clicking the Help/Support/Forum tab it produces a local error box saying "you don't have a profile" (yes I DO), do you want to create one? Except it then takes you to the ORIGINAL profile creation dialog, which doesn't create a FORUM account.

Note that these are MOSTLY all UI/WEB problems, but nonetheless they were very unpleasant and time wasting.

BUT PROVISIONALLY I like the program, so long as I can get past these SUN JAVA JRE issues.

I glanced at the ADVANCED interface. That is one GIANT step up from the simple interface. I shall have to study it.

Oh, and it reported several program deletions (like Infranview) that A: were not on any list it presented to be, B: didn't allow for a yes/no confirmation-before-delete from me, and C: WEREN'T ACTUALLY DELETED AS THE TASK BAR POP-UP SAID THEY WERE. (Which saved me, but is still buggy).

Oh well, that was quite a few bugs for a starting point. Hope you can fix at least some of them. C-NET used to offer a free service like this and I really liked their's until they abandoned it. And it simply looked for any/all updates and new versions, not just security related one. Hope you expand yours to all fixes as well in some future version.

Sincerely, and not intending to be grumpy or cranky, Greg

This user no longer exists RE: Love it, BUT .... geesh
Member 14th Dec, 2008 23:03
on 14th Dec, 2008 22:08, wrote:
Initial experience:

Download and install: no problem

First scan: fine

First two one-click fixes: fine

Remaining FOUR Sun Java JRE 1.6x/6.x one click fixes sent me to Internet Explorer which got "page not found" errors.

Sincerely, and not intending to be grumpy or cranky, Greg

Please review:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/664...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Love it, BUT .... geesh
Member 15th Dec, 2008 01:34
Thanks, I had stumbled on that thread myself and managed to quiet the JAVA noise to a dull roar.

Meanwhile, PSI managed to so foul up my system it would not reboot. I restored from a checkpoint, and deactivated the autostart.

I suspect PSI cannot deal with the network being in startup when it first starts as it tends to hang on "checking network connectivity".

I also suspect the URL problem (which has occurred over a dozen times, at nearly a 95% rate, is related to the -k (Kiosk) switch which directs new URL Opens from other programs to open a new tab instead of a new instance of IE. I had to make -k the default so that things like Outlook Express, Word, Excel would properly open new tabs.

I would need to see the EXACT open command PSI is using for URL commands to figure it out.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.