Forum Thread: Various questions on Secunia scan

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet Various questions on Secunia scan
Member 16th Dec, 2008 18:52
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
I have IE7 set as my default web browser. But when I clicked on the Secunia link it opens Firefox. Anyone know why?

Are Adobe Shockwave Player and Adobe Flash Player the same thing? I thought they were, but I have Adobe Flash Player 10 installed and Secunia advised that my Adobe Shockwave Player was out of date so I clicked on the download link provided in the report and I now have Adobe Shockwave Player 11 installed, in addition to the Adobe Flash Player 10.

Secunia gives three instances of MSXML 6.x as out of date. Two have the number 6.10.1200.0 and the other has 6.10.1129.0. When I click on the download link provided it opens Firefox and just takes me to the Windows Update page. I run the Windows Update and it shows no updates for my computer.

And finally, it shows that Microsoft Word 2002 needs to be updated. When I click on the download link it doesn't list this update as viable for Vista. I have never used this program but did find it in my start menu. When I click on it I get a message that this is located on a removable CD. I click ok and then the program goes ahead and opens.

Sorry to dump so much at once but can someone advise me on all these problems?

This user no longer exists RE: Various questions on Secunia scan
Member 17th Dec, 2008 05:26
on 16th Dec, 2008 18:52, Nikilet wrote:
I have IE7 set as my default web browser. But when I clicked on the Secunia link it opens Firefox. Anyone know why?

Because you have Firefox set as the preferred browser.

(unknown source)
Are Adobe Shockwave Player and Adobe Flash Player the same thing? I thought they were, but I have Adobe Flash Player 10 installed and Secunia advised that my Adobe Shockwave Player was out of date so I clicked on the download link provided in the report and I now have Adobe Shockwave Player 11 installed, in addition to the Adobe Flash Player 10.

They are different applications that do similar things but only Adobe knows why.

(unknown source)
Secunia gives three instances of MSXML 6.x as out of date. Two have the number 6.10.1200.0 and the other has 6.10.1129.0. When I click on the download link provided it opens Firefox and just takes me to the Windows Update page. I run the Windows Update and it shows no updates for my computer.

And finally, it shows that Microsoft Word 2002 needs to be updated. When I click on the download link it doesn't list this update as viable for Vista. I have never used this program but did find it in my start menu. When I click on it I get a message that this is located on a removable CD. I click ok and then the program goes ahead and opens.

Sorry to dump so much at once but can someone advise me on all these problems?

I don't use Firefox, Microsoft Word nor Vista so I can't help with them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Various questions on Secunia scan
Member 17th Dec, 2008 06:50
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
I guess I don't know what you mean by "preferred" browser. I have IE set as the default browser.

I got the Adobe Shockwave Player item solved.

I tried to do the update for Microsoft Word and got a message that it didn't even apply to my program so I just uninstalled that program altogether because I've never used it.

However, the MSXML issues really have me puzzled because when I go to my Add/Remove it shows MSXML 4.0 with several updates so I guess I'll have to ignore this issue until someone can explain it to me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ray4Secunia RE: Various questions on Secunia scan
Member 4th Jan, 2009 03:34
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
on 17th Dec, 2008 06:50, Nikilet wrote:
I got the Adobe Shockwave Player item solved.

OK, I'm breathless with anticipation :-) Please inform us.
I have 2 SW items, shown below. The 1st is a cat4 threat:
Shockwave Player 10.x -- c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwOnce.dll
Shockwave Player 11.x -- c:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\SwInit.exe

on 17th Dec, 2008 06:50, Nikilet wrote:
I tried to do the update for Microsoft Word and got a message that it didn't even apply to my program so I just uninstalled that program altogether because I've never used it.

I got a similar warning and message for a M$ ppt viewer, but M$ thinks there is no need for an update.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.