Forum Thread: Program's are deleted

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
joe_ioi Program's are deleted
Member 16th Jun, 2011 02:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Jun, 2011
System Score: N/A
New to PSI, I downloaded the new MicroSoft Updates from TUESDAY 6/15/2011 and Secunia popped up that it had deleted Windows C++

WHY did that happen? Was it suppose to happen? I'm using Win 7 computer.

Maurice Joyce RE: Program's are deleted
Handling Contributor 16th Jun, 2011 02:53
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
U have already asked this question here & U have not locked it:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/973...

There is no change to what U have already been told. Secunia PSI does not remove programmes.

It checks the meta data of your PC against the previous scan. If there is a difference it tells U.

Either U have removed it or the updates from Microsoft removed but it was not PSI.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+5
joe_ioi RE: Program's are deleted
Member 16th Jun, 2011 04:07
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Jun 2011
Look I didn't delete it, I don't know if Tuesday's MICROSOFT updates did it...all I know is that SECUNIA did pop up a message box saying 'C++' update removed....

Was asking a question....its NOT be answered...but if all you got is 'You speculate that it was an empty folder and Secunia erased an empty folder'...thats resonable but the other answers aren't possible...(I DIDn't delete C++ and I had installed no other programs on my computer EXCEPT for Secunia). Anyways, just wanted a answer that sounded possible....

CAN YOU ANSWER ME THIS? Does Secunia delete empty folders? Is that possible?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Program's are deleted
Member 16th Jun, 2011 09:16
Hi,

Secunia does not delete anything, empty or otherwise. The answers on the forum are (usually) solid enough for you to go bye.

Not only is it not our policy, the PSI does not have any feature which would make it possible.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This user no longer exists

RE: Program's are deleted
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Maurice Joyce RE: Program's are deleted
Handling Contributor 16th Jun, 2011 10:50
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
The question has been answered. PSI does not remove anything. If U did not remove it then Microsoft must have done it to facilitate a hotfix.

U are giving very little detail for us to help.

Are there any problems showing in the Action Centre (center)?

Have U run a manual Windows Update scan? Are there any outstanding hotfixes to install?

Are U running Windows Update automatically? If so, it has a downside - U have handed your PC over to a vendor (Microsoft) & cannot personally asset track what it has done to your PC. One thing for sure it is not PSI.

If on checking all these things are up to date/operational U have not got a problem.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Midnight_Voice RE: Programs are deleted
Member 16th Jun, 2011 17:12
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
Last edited on 16th Jun, 2011 17:17
on 16th Jun, 2011 02:41, joe_ioi wrote:
New to PSI, I downloaded the new MicroSoft Updates from TUESDAY 6/15/2011 and Secunia popped up that it had deleted Windows C++

WHY did that happen? Was it suppose to happen? I'm using Win 7 computer.

It didn't. Between you, Microsoft and PSI, you've managed to get yourself a little confused.

Firstly think: did you have the Microsoft C++ compiler on your machine? (If so, then you must be a developer, even if only for your own amusement, and you must have actively installed it).

If so, is it still there? I'm quite sure that if it ever was, it still will be.

But you probably didn't have it at all. So, what did get deleted? Most probably, one of the Microsoft C++ redistributables - I have these in the 2005 and the 2008 versions on my XP machine, as reported in the PSI Scan list, and you probably have versions on your Win7 machine. You probably saw PSI report that one of these - not a C++ compiler - was deleted.

What are these 'redistributables'? They are libraries that commercial programs on your machine, written in C++, rely on; it keeps those programs smaller if each one doesn't have to contain all the library content, but they can share a common one, supplied from Microsoft. Of course, if you load such a program and the library it needs isn't already on your machine, it has to go and fetch it for you, but at least it doesn't have to carry it everywhere.

How did it get deleted? Well, you said it yourself; you were running the latest Patch Tuesday update from Microsoft, an update which is entirely likely to amend one or more of these redistributables, to fix reported bugs; or even to remove one, if it's not longer needed, or two such libraries are now merged into one.

If you are running PSI when the Microsoft updates are happening, then you will see PSI respond; but it's just reporting what's happening, telling you when the Microsoft Update removes a component (deletion) and then again when it adds the replacement component.

All perfectly normal. But your program count went down by one, you say. Well, in that case, I guess Microsoft (or something, but emphatically not PSI) removed a program.

Which one? You'd have to ask Microsoft. But don't blame PSI. Otherwise, you're just shooting the messenger; and a messenger who is telling you what is happening due to a Microsoft Update that you choose to run.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+10

This thread has been marked as locked.