Forum Thread: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Recruiter Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 18th Dec, 2008 20:58
Ranking: 1
User Since: 18th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 18th Dec, 2008 21:00

I ran the Secunia PSI under the Simple Mode, for the first time to start, and it patched everything that needed patching. When it was done, it still showed 2 programs as being insecure. I changed to the Advanced Mode, and it showed 2 instances of Sun Java JRE 1.6x/6x (Requires uninstall).

1st instance: Version Detected 6.0.70.6, with Installation Path c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java.exe
Solution from Secunia Advisory (SA 32991)
Update to a fixed version
JDK and JRE 6 Update 11:
JDK and JRE 5.0 Update 17:
SDK and JRE 1.4.2_19:
SDK and JRE 1.3.1_24 (for customers with Solaris 8, etc)

2nd instance" Version Detected 6.0.10.7, with Installation Path c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\java.exe
Solution from Secunia Advisory (SA 32991) (Same as above list)

I am running Vista Home premium on 2 machines, desktop and laptop. The same advisory shows on both pc's. One runs 32 bit, the other 64 bit. I first went to Sun's web page and downloaded the most recent updates. It ran an uninstall during the operation. I rescanned the computer and there was no change. Under Control Panel>Programs and Features, there are 3 Java listings:Java 6 Update 7, Java 6 Update 11 and Jave SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1.

Should I be uninstalling all instances of Java, or a specific instance of Java. After that, am i correct in assuming I install the JDK and JRE 6 Update 11? Thanks

This user no longer exists RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 18th Dec, 2008 21:23
This has been discussed quite a bit before:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/776...
Was this reply relevant?
+1
vitaliy RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 19th Dec, 2008 10:55
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2008 10:56
on 18th Dec, 2008 20:58, Recruiter wrote:
I ran the Secunia PSI under the Simple Mode, for the first time to start, and it patched everything that needed patching. When it was done, it still showed 2 programs as being insecure. I changed to the Advanced Mode, and it showed 2 instances of Sun Java JRE 1.6x/6x (Requires uninstall).

1st instance: Version Detected 6.0.70.6, with Installation Path c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java.exe
JDK and JRE 6 Update 11:
SDK and JRE 1.4.2_19:

2nd instance" Version Detected 6.0.10.7, with Installation Path c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\java.exe

I am running Vista Home premium on 2 machines, desktop and laptop. The same advisory shows on both pc's. One runs 32 bit, the other 64 bit. I first went to Sun's web page and downloaded the most recent updates. It ran an uninstall during the operation. I rescanned the computer and there was no change. Under Control Panel>Programs and Features, there are 3 Java listings:Java 6 Update 7, Java 6 Update 11 and Jave SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1.

Should I be uninstalling all instances of Java, or a specific instance of Java. After that, am i correct in assuming I install the JDK and JRE 6 Update 11? Thanks

Was this reply relevant?
+0
vavavala72 RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 19th Dec, 2008 11:29
User Since: 23rd Sep 2008
I had same problem.Not sure if this is correct,but I uninstalled all instances of java in control panel.When a program that needs java wants to run,it just goes to the java site and downloads the latest,suitable version.That's what I did anyway.

john
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lman RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 19th Dec, 2008 11:39
User Since: 9th Jan 2008
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2008 11:42
I did the same thing; I uninstalled - via my control panel (add/remove programs)- all instances of previous Java programs with 6x or lower version name, AFTER I had downloaded the latest version through the Secunia link. I was then given an all-clear, and had no insecure Java programs left on. It seems like you have to uninstall older versions of Java yourself, it doesn't remove them before downloading the latest, unlike other software.

And don't worry - as mentioned - if you uninstall all your versions, by mistake, when you next need it, Java will suggest a download - or you can get it off your last Secunia scan anyway.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
chrisdn RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 19th Dec, 2008 11:42
User Since: 25th Apr 2008
I have had this also in the past. It is not really a problem, but java has not always been good at uninstalling previous versions when upgrading. Under Vista, go to the Programs and Features Control Panel, and manually uninstall all java versions except for the last one (6 update 11).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Wulf Head RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 19th Dec, 2008 11:47
User Since: 3rd Jun 2008
Check your partition or click the folder icon. You should find some old left over debris or previously install Java JRE. I use to have the same problems until I looked under the hood of my vista ultimate and realized that the OS does like to stock up on outdated softwares or programs.

If you are not happy with what PSI keeps popping out stating that you have outdated or insecure software installed even after you have updated your PC, click on the ignore button and PSI will never prompt you again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Recruiter RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 19th Dec, 2008 19:08
Score: 1
I think I'll try doing the uninstalls. First I'll start with a Restore Point, just in case. Then I'll uninstall all the Java listings, except the last one, as suggesterd by chrisdn. Then I'll run another PSI scan to see if it cleared up the problem. If not, I'll start over and uninstall them all. Hopefully, this will solve the issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
djcollins1122 RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 19th Dec, 2008 21:00
User Since: 15th Dec 2008
I have found that after Secunia works its magic on java, you must then go into add/remove programs and uninstall all but the latest java update. The reboot the computer and rescan and all should be well.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2008 23:46
I did the uninstalls of all the old Java Updates, leaving just the Update 11. After reinstalling Java on both pc's, all is well. Upon reading some info from the Sun website, it does, in fact, suggest that you uninstall the older versions, and simply keep the updated versions only. In fact it mentions that occasionally a program may need an older version to run correctly, but asks that they be notified if that occurs. We can only hope it is to contact the program's developers to get them to catch up to the rest of the world.
I'm going to stick my neck out here, and assume that what Secunia keeps detecting as Insecure, and is warning everyone about, is simply that it is picking up the remnants of the old Updates that need uninstalling. Could it be that simple?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
kuanyin RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 27th Mar, 2009 15:47
User Since: 12th Feb 2009

JDK and JRE 6 Update 11:
SDK and JRE 1.4.2_19:

Was this reply relevant?
+0
margit linnell RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 27th Mar, 2009 16:20
User Since: 3rd Mar 2009

JDK and JRE 6 Update 11:
SDK and JRE 1.4.2_19:

Was this reply relevant?
+0
leif jacobsen RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 27th Mar, 2009 18:02
User Since: 20th Feb 2009

JDK and JRE 6 Update 11:
SDK and JRE 1.4.2_19:

Was this reply relevant?
+0
leif jacobsen RE: Properly updating Java JRE 1.6x/6x
Member 27th Mar, 2009 18:03
User Since: 20th Feb 2009

JDK and JRE 6 Update 11:
SDK and JRE 1.4.2_19:

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Mar, 2009 18:35
There are 3 recent replies to my thread I started in Dec. 08, from Kuanyin, Margit Linnell, and leif jacobsen. There didn't appear to be any comments or questions attached to them. Hopefully, if they followed the thread, their issue was solved. I had a chance to try the same fix to 2 other pc's, of friends with similar problems, and it seems to work every time.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.