Forum Thread: PSI Stuck in scan.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Swordsman761 PSI Stuck in scan.
Member 24th Jun, 2011 03:30
Ranking: 2
User Since: 30th Oct, 2008
System Score: N/A
I'm having an issue with scanning using PSI; it started up randomly just a couple days ago.

As I start up my OS (Windows 7 x64), Secunia loads fine and automatically starts a scan because it's overdue. However, it becomes stuck at the searching files on C:/ step. Yes, I know it can take a while to pass this step, and in the past it's been usually 10 minutes for my machine. However, I've let the scan go past an hour, and it still can't pass that part. In addition, I've noticed it hogs a great deal of CPU... about 50% of my processor while scanning. You can understand then why I need to abort the scan as I have to do other things- and it works and kills the CPU hogging, but from there on in it's unable to restart a scan at all. Closing both the program and system tray .exe processes don't help at all- it becomes permanently frozen and won't start a new scan. The only way to fix it is to restart my computer, and then the cycle continues again from the top.

I've tried reboots, re-installation of PSI, and process killing. I haven't found anyone else on the forum with this problem... and even weirder it just spontaneously began a couple days ago. Does anyone have any ideas what's the matter?

This user no longer exists RE: PSI Stuck in scan.
Member 24th Jun, 2011 09:34
Hi,

Did you install any software/updates right before the problem started?

Does it stall at a specific file, and if so, which file?

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Swordsman761 RE: PSI Stuck in scan.
Member 24th Jun, 2011 17:27
Score: 2
User Since: 30th Oct 2008
Well, as suddenly as the problem began, it suddenly starting working again... heh.

I appreciate the reply back, this truly was a problem that I had this week, and I'll let you know if it continues.

If I ever need to, you said that I can tell if it freezes at a specific file? How might I check that? I only see the general scanning page where it's scanning C:/.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pratnala2010 RE: PSI Stuck in scan.
Member 26th Jun, 2011 13:37
Score: 1
User Since: 13th Nov 2009
on 24th Jun, 2011 09:34, wrote:
Hi,

Did you install any software/updates right before the problem started?

Does it stall at a specific file, and if so, which file?

Hope this helps.

How can we know at which file PSI is scanning?

--
PC -
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic Service Pack 1
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2.0 GHz
2GB RAM
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003

Laptop -

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic Service Pack 1
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 2.2 GHz
3GB RAM
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012