9:00 CET, 22nd October 2012 By Secunia.
Copenhagen, Denmark – October 22, 2012 - Secunia, the leading provider of IT security solutions that enable businesses and private individuals to manage and control vulnerability threats, today celebrated its 10th birthday in Copenhagen.
Secunia has based its business on intelligent vulnerability management right from the start, driven by the Secunia in-house Research team. Over the last decade the company has evolved into a major player in the specialized field of managing and remediating vulnerability threats facing businesses and private users through a series of solutions that rely on proprietary technology.
“We’ve been fortunate to get off on the right foot, back in 2002. From day one, Secunia has been able to combine sales, strategy, innovation and development in a proactive push to market, driven by the market and its needs. The ‘founding father’ and the four co-founders had this rare combination of skills that enabled Secunia to make the right strategic and tactical decisions from the very start. Critically, Secunia’s founders understood the importance of sale from day one, pure and simple,” said Thomas Zeihlund, CEO at Secunia. Today, more than 130 people work at Secunia, representing more than 26 nationalities; more than 5.7 million private PC users use Secunia’s free tool: the Personal Software Inspector (PSI), and customers worldwide rely on Secunia as the provider of reliable vulnerability intelligence and vulnerability management solutions.
What the sales savvy organization had to sell was intelligence of a specific nature: Intelligence about software vulnerabilities, a major threat to the corporate world and to organisations. How Secunia has moved with the needs of the market is shown by the way the product portfolio has evolved. In the beginning, Secunia sold their best-in-class vulnerability advisories. The customers appreciated the intelligence, but were unsure of which programs actually applied to their organisations. Secunia then invented the non-intrusive scanning technology, to correlate vulnerability intelligence with the specific IT infrastructure in the customers’ organisations. “At this point the customers said: ‘Great. So you tell me I have a problem. And you tell me what to do about it. Why don’t you just fix it for me?’ And that was when we developed the version of the Corporate Software Inspector (CSI) that integrates into patch deployment tools,” explained Thomas Zeihlund.
Today, Secunia’s research team analyses and provides comprehensive vulnerability intelligence coverage for over 40,000 systems and applications, including Adobe, Mozilla Firefox and Google and Microsoft, and provides intelligence on zero-day vulnerabilities. As only 22% of vulnerabilities affect Microsoft programs and operating systems, it is critical to have the correct vulnerability intelligence to also identify the vulnerabilities in the remaining 78% - the third-party programs. The threat to third-party is on the increase: the share of vulnerabilities in these rose from 45% to 78% from 2006 to 2011. (link to yearly report 2011)
For Secunia, the next ten years will be “business as usual”, in the sense that “business as usual” is a continued exercise in product innovation, commercial agility, market penetration and a mission that is all about placing the issue of software vulnerabilities on the agenda of corporations, governments, and private PC users everywhere. This mission is driven by a strong team of Secunians.
Founded in 2002, Secunia is the leading provider of IT security solutions that help businesses and private individuals globally manage and control vulnerability threats, risks across their networks, and end-points. This is enabled by Secunia’s award-winning Vulnerability Intelligence, Vulnerability Assessment, and Patch Management solutions that ensure optimal and cost-effective protection of critical information assets.
Secunia plays an important role in the IT security ecosystem, and is the preferred supplier for enterprises and government agencies worldwide, counting Fortune 500 and Global 2000 businesses among its customer base. Secunia has operations in North America, the UK, and the Middle East, and is headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark.